online accounts (solved)

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
whooki

online accounts (solved)

Post by whooki »

I uninstalled "online accounts" in sylvia
When I did that and rebooted I got the message"unable to launch cinnamon ......"
I reistalled cinnamon to get access to "sylvia: and that reinstalled "online accounts".
Online accounts is tied to cinnamon.
Is it possible to get rid of "online accounts " without corrupting cinnamon?
Cheers
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Re: online accounts

Post by Pierre »

there is a number of items that are tied to the Desktop Environment,
and if you try to remove any of them, then you will risk breaking the entire system.
:shock:
rather than trying to remove any of those items, try to simply hide / delete the Icon,
for that item, so that it no longer bothers you.

you will also find that most of these items, are not that big, and so don't take up much disk space.
:)
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
lmuserx4849

Re: online accounts removal from cinnamon

Post by lmuserx4849 »

Ugh. KDE does this too. They can be viewed at System Settings -> Online Accounts.

sudo dpkg --get-selections | grep account

It doesn't look like it can be deleted without killing cinnamon, but since it is a daemon/dbus service maybe it can be stopped via systemd or other without damage (??).

Seems it is new. I wish these things were optional. I don't understand why they have to break the entire desktop for an online social acct.
GNOME Online Accounts:

Cinnamon 3.6 supports GNOME Online Accounts. Among other things, this support makes it possible to browse Google Drive and OwnCloud in Nemo.

https://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=3418
If you can't install it, maybe disable is an option. After some reading, this is my first attempt:

1. I created a hidden directory under $HOME, .local/share/dbus-1/services. I'm not 100% sure if these could reside in /etc/dbus-1/, but for now I did .local.
2. I copied 2 files from /usr/share/dbus-1/services, org.gnome.OnlineAccounts.service and org.gtk.vfs.GoaVolumeMonitor.service.
3. I edited both. I cloned the Exec= line and commented one with #. I changed the other to be =/bin/false

I logged off and logged on. I did a ps -axf|grep -i goa and no processes. I typed cinnamon-settings online-accounts and there were no accounts. You can use d-feet (had to install it) to view the Session Bus.

If an application doesn't check and assumes services are available it may misbehave. I don't plan on using online accounts, and hope that they are only referenced if a menu item is selected. At least that is how they worked in kde in the past.
whooki

Post by whooki »

appreciate the help I guess this is solved
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

whooki wrote:appreciate the help I guess this is solved
Then please mark it solved. You do that by editing the first post and adding SOLVED to the subject line.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan

Return to “Software & Applications”