I have a situation where I have Linux Mint 17.3 with cinnamon and after mdm login I get a black screen with a mouse pointer. I have already searched and tried every relative solution from the forums to no availability.
When I'm in the black screen I can use CTRL+ALT+ F1 where I can see the following processes driving the CPU to its maximum.
At the same time the disk activity is running like crazy!!!!
I tried also kernel 3.9 but no change
I uninstalled, purged cinnamon and reinstall it but no difference.
I uninstalled and purged nvidia drivers but no difference with or without the proprietary nvidia drivers.
I uninstalled, purged and reinstalled mdm but no difference.
I installed also Mate and the phenomenon is exactly the same with the exception that instead of a black screen I have the background image, but nothing else except the mouse pointer.
Tried to disable the autostart of nm-applet and mintupdate but again the same problem.
Tested also with Linux Mint 18.2 Cinnamon from live USB and runs without problem so hardware is fine.
The problem started as following: I was working with some fonts so I installed font-manager. In this program there was an option to scan the disk for fonts folders. I selected it and the program was running for ages scanning the disk. Then I force-killed it but in the background the disk activity remained extremely high... Then I did a reboot and then saw very strange graphical artifacts allover the screen (was very surprised). Then I rebooted and eversince after the login screen I get the blank screen.
I also tried to remove some fonts in case some of them were causing the problem but nothing...
UPDATE: I did a full upgrade to Linux Mint 18.2 as a desperate solution and the problem remains!!!!!!!!!!!! Black screen with mouse cursor!!
Please if you have any suggestions I'm desparate! Thanks in advance!
Code: Select all
System: Host: athlon Kernel: 4.4.0-66-generic x86_64 (64 bit gcc: 4.8.4) Console: tty 1 Distro: Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa Machine: Mobo: MSI model: Z170A GAMING M7 (MS-7976) v: 1.0 Bios: American Megatrends v: 1.H0 date: 12/14/2016 CPU: Quad core Intel Core i7-6700K (-HT-MCP-) cache: 8192 KB flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx) bmips: 32066 clock speeds: max: 4400 MHz 1: 4399 MHz 2: 4400 MHz 3: 4399 MHz 4: 4400 MHz 5: 4400 MHz 6: 4400 MHz 7: 4399 MHz 8: 4400 MHz Graphics: Card: NVIDIA GF106 [GeForce GTS 450] bus-ID: 01:00.0 Display Server: X.org 1.15.1 driver: nvidia tty size: 160x64 Advanced Data: N/A out of X Audio: Card-1 NVIDIA GF106 High Definition Audio Controller driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 01:00.1 Card-2 Intel Sunrise Point-H HD Audio driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:1f.3 Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k4.4.0-66-generic Network: Card: Qualcomm Atheros Device e0a1 driver: alx port: d000 bus-ID: 03:00.0 IF: eth4 state: up speed: 100 Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter> Drives: HDD Total Size: 2000.4GB (77.7% used) ID-1: /dev/sda model: TOSHIBA_DT01ACA2 size: 2000.4GB Partition: ID-1: / size: 99G used: 20G (21%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda6 ID-2: /home size: 1.7T used: 1.4T (87%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda7 ID-3: swap-1 size: 8.70GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/sda5 RAID: No RAID devices: /proc/mdstat, md_mod kernel module present Sensors: System Temperatures: cpu: 52.0C mobo: 27.8C gpu: 0.0:31C Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A Info: Processes: 250 Uptime: 2 min Memory: 699.1/32136.1MB Init: Upstart runlevel: 2 Gcc sys: 4.8.5 Client: Shell (bash 4.3.111) inxi: 2.2.28