OSX Host folder shared to VM by VirtualBox isn't appearing in Mint

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
charrison

OSX Host folder shared to VM by VirtualBox isn't appearing in Mint

Post by charrison »

I'm trying to set up Plex Media Server on Linux Mint ("Sylvia") which, in turn, is running in VirtualBox 5.1.30 on a Mac Mini running Sierra. My media is on an external USB drive that is mounted on the Mac as /Volumes/Tubby/. I'd like for this drive to automatically mount when Linux Mint boots. VB offers both "Machine Folders" and "Transient Folders" -- I assume I want "Machine Folders". I used the VB machine preferences to define /Volumes/Tubby as a Machine FOlder with read/write access and with "auto-mount" specified. I rebooted Mint and checked its /media/ folder, where in the past I've found shared folders mounted, but mine is empty.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
pbear
Level 16
Level 16

Re: OSX Host folder shared to VM by VirtualBox isn't appearing in Mint

Post by pbear »

Not an expert by any means, but I think you should be doing this by mounting the USB as a device rather than as a shared folder. If that's right, it can be set up to mount automatically (with filters in Settings), but first try manually. So, open the VM, click Devices, then USB, which will present a drop-down of available devices. (All this assumes, of course, you have the appropriate extension pack installed and USB controller selected.) Select the one you want and see whether it mounts. Then, cross fingers and see whether it runs. If both answers are yes, as mentioned, you can set up the USB to mount automatically (I've never done, but it's discussed in the Manual).

Hope that helps. Report back, as I'm curious. Good luck.

Return to “Software & Applications”