Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
mike acker
Level 6
Level 6

Freeze webview: is this possible?

Postby mike acker » Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:26 am

Moving images on a web page are distracting -- which is why they are used by advertisers :x

has anyone encountered a browser or plug-in that will FREEZE a web-page:
  • no animated gif
  • no autoplay video
  • no slide shows

did i miss anything ?
My Computer: IBM 360/50 c. 1975
¡Viva la Resistencia!

Cosmo.
Level 22
Level 22

Re: Freeze webview: is this possible?

Postby Cosmo. » Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:55 am

By disabling javascript #2 & #3 should not happen. Animated GIFs are another problem (here in the forum I remove those imposition with an adblocker).

BenTrabetere
Level 4
Level 4

Postby BenTrabetere » Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:45 am

There used to be a Firefox add-on that would let you stop animated GIFs by pressing ESC. It was called ESCapeFromGIF or something like that. I found it to be somewhat useful, but it was far from an ideal solution. I do not know if it is still available or if it works with the new Firefox.

SeaMonkey has a setting in Preferences>Privacy&Security>Images that gives you a level of control over animated images. You can select whether to allow them to loop as normal, loop only once, or never loop. It works, but it does not work in all cases. For example, it stops WharfRat's animated sig cold (am I the only one who has tried to smash that crawly bug?) but it has no affect on animated avatars.

Vivaldi has a Toggle Images and Animation button that controls the loading of images and playing animated images.

mike acker
Level 6
Level 6

Postby mike acker » Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:26 am

thanks

i did have the animated gif stopper installed but it seems to have gone south now.

adblock is very helpful; i use that. I'll the javascript items mentioned above, -- thanks Cos.
My Computer: IBM 360/50 c. 1975
¡Viva la Resistencia!

aes2011
Level 4
Level 4

Postby aes2011 » Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:56 am

BenTrabetere wrote:There used to be a Firefox add-on that would let you stop animated GIFs by pressing ESC. It was called ESCapeFromGIF or something like that. I found it to be somewhat useful, but it was far from an ideal solution. I do not know if it is still available or if it works with the new Firefox.

SeaMonkey has a setting in Preferences>Privacy&Security>Images that gives you a level of control over animated images. You can select whether to allow them to loop as normal, loop only once, or never loop. It works, but it does not work in all cases. For example, it stops WharfRat's animated sig cold (am I the only one who has tried to smash that crawly bug?) but it has no affect on animated avatars.

Vivaldi has a Toggle Images and Animation button that controls the loading of images and playing animated images.
In about:config of Firefox 57, one can change

Code: Select all

image.animation_mode;normal
to

Code: Select all

image.animation_mode;once
and hope there's some relief!

Return to “Software & Applications”