Timeshift snapshot size

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
zoli62
Level 2
Level 2

Timeshift snapshot size

Post by zoli62 »

Anyone who has used Timeshift in 18.3 (Similar to Windows snapshot) would you be able to tell them how much is the size of a snapshot? Does it make sense to use this feature on older computers with smaller linux (<20 GB) partitions?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Re: Timeshift snapshot size

Post by Cosmo. »

Short answer: no.

TimeShift needs to store at least all system files (not user data) once; every additional restore point needs some more space. I have here a test system with nothing added to the system, what did not came preinstalled. Having at now 9 restore points the restore file need about 9 GB space. So you would quickly fall below the minimum space (15 GB), that is named in the release announcement for 18.3.
zoli62
Level 2
Level 2

Post by zoli62 »

Cosmo. wrote:Short answer: no.

TimeShift needs to store at least all system files (not user data) once; every additional restore point needs some more space. I have here a test system with nothing added to the system, what did not came preinstalled. Having at now 9 restore points the restore file need about 9 GB space. So you would quickly fall below the minimum space (15 GB), that is named in the release announcement for 18.3.
Thanks for your response. In other words, timeshift is not useful on old machines with lightweight linux desktop like XFCE . In this case, it is recommended to use an external hard disk with a Linux file system, NTFS is not a solution.
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

My solution would be to direct the timeshift snapshot file to an external drive,
even a usb flash, and choose option to update the snapshot manually.
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
zoli62
Level 2
Level 2

Post by zoli62 »

all41 wrote:My solution would be to direct the timeshift snapshot file to an external drive,
even a usb flash, and choose option to update the snapshot manually.
Thanks. The manual backup is really a good idea.What size of linux partition should you use for this purpose?
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

well in Cosmo's example of the basic install with 9 restore points a 16gb usb flash would be sufficient.
I don't keep that many-perhaps one after a new install with all updates, and another after installing the 'must have'
applications, before I install questionable updates, etc. I also make a descriptive text for each.
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.

Return to “Software & Applications”