[solved] Some Flatpak Apps not starting

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
iIMMIi
Level 1
Level 1

[solved] Some Flatpak Apps not starting

Post by iIMMIi »

On Mint Cinnamon 18.3 (upgraded from 18.2), I experience some flatpak apps installed by the Software Manager to be unable to start after the installation, be it by starting them directly from the mintinstall app or from the start menu.
Some flatpak apps are able to start.
One of the broken apps is atom text editor, another one I forgot.

Can somebody confirm this?

What can I do about it?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
typematrix

Re: Some Flatpak Apps not starting

Post by typematrix »

Hi

I am on 18.3 XFCE fresh install , I have only installed one flatpak app , pycharm-commuity
It would not launch I had to edit the command entry in the menu launcher
details at link

viewtopic.php?f=47&t=259636

Regards
iIMMIi
Level 1
Level 1

Post by iIMMIi »

Thanks, running from the command line was indeed helpful to get some information, but did unfortunately not fix it.

Code: Select all

/usr/bin/flatpak run io.atom.Atom
returns (just like the original command:

/usr/bin/flatpak run --branch=stable --arch=x86_64 --command=atom --file-forwarding io.atom.Atom @@ %F @@
)

error: runtime/org.freedesktop.Sdk/x86_64/1.6 not installed

According to flatpak website, only org.gnome.Sdk runtimes are available for Gnome so I guess the pack just can't run on Cinnamon which is based on Gnome? I thought the nice thing about flatpak was that it runs universally on all distros?
BenTrabetere
Level 7
Level 7

Post by BenTrabetere »

I cannot help with flatpak probems - I do not like or use them.

If you are looking for an alternative for the Atom flatpak and you do not want to install it from the .deb or adding the PPA from WebUpd8, you might consider the AppImage for Atom v1.18.0. It is not the most current version of Atom, but it is more current than the flatpak in Software Manager. You can download it here - https://dl.bintray.com/probono/AppImages/. The file you want is Atom-v1.18.0.glibc2.17-x86_64.AppImage.

After you download it, open a terminal, navigate to the location of the file, and make it executable with

chmod a+x Atom-v1.18.0.glibc2.17-x86_64.AppImage 
Since you are already in a terminal and in directory where the file exists, you can launch the AppImage from the command line. This will let you see any error or messages that are displayed. Note: the ./ is important.

./Atom-v1.18.0.glibc2.17-x86_64.AppImage
The first time it runs you may be asked if you want to integrate Atom to the desktop and create menu entries and launchers - I always decline this offer because I do not want AppImages to clutter my menus, and becasue I can always do that manually. If you want desktop integration, select Yes.

Afterwards you can launch Atom by double-clicking the icon (if you integrated it to the desktop) or the AppImage itself.
Patreon sponsor since August 2022
iIMMIi
Level 1
Level 1

Post by iIMMIi »

Issue has resolved, don't know how... maybe it was fixed by the devs
Royi
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Royi »

iIMMIi wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:42 pm

/usr/bin/flatpak run --branch=stable --arch=x86_64 --command=atom --file-forwarding io.atom.Atom @@ %F @@
What those @@ In:

@@ <Text> @@ 
do?

Return to “Software & Applications”