Gnome-Boxes vs. Virtualbox - opinions/comments?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Pat D
Level 4
Level 4

Gnome-Boxes vs. Virtualbox - opinions/comments?

Post by Pat D » Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:54 am

I have personally struggled with getting Virtualbox to work well.
I've just upgraded this box from Mint 18.2 Cinn to 18.3 Cinn and the change in the Software Manager is really, really nice.
I didn't even know about "Gnome-Boxes" before.
I've now removed and purged Virtualbox.
Gnome-Boxes, For Me At Least, is so much more friendly. It works out of the box, so to speak. No tweaking.

Curious as to others' viewpoints. I have 2 TB to play with. he-he-he

Jim Hauser
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Gnome-Boxes vs. Virtualbox - opinions/comments?

Post by Jim Hauser » Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:13 am

I have been running Virtual Box on every Mint KDE version from 17.0 to 18.3 without any major problems.

Currently version 5.2.2 r119230 (Qt5.6.1) is running on this system. The version in the Software Manager is a bit outdated and the experts on here told me not to use that one but to download from here:

https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads

pbear
Level 5
Level 5

Post by pbear » Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:25 am

I tried Boxes, as it was mentioned in a recent thread. Certainly it's easier than VBox, but also more limited. For example, I could find no way to pass through 3D acceleration, so Cinnamon as guest ran in software rendering mode. Further, although enabled by appropriate settings, neither clipboard nor USB devices worked. Moreover, it doesn't even claim to be able to share the host's hard drive. By contrast, although VBox had a daunting learning curve, once I figured it out (excellent manual), was able to do all those things and more. YMMV, but I've marked off Boxes as a dead end.

BTW, if anyone wants to try, although not mentioned anywhere, be advised you have to install QEMU for Boxes to work.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.
Running Mate 18.3 64 bit (by upgrade from 18.1-2)

jimallyn
Level 18
Level 18

Post by jimallyn » Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:32 am

I've never tried Gnome-Boxes, but I have VirtualBox running on my computer (Mint 17.3 Cinnamon) with no problems at all. The last time I counted, I think I had 36 different operating systems installed in VB. I also use the version directly from Virtual Box, and not from the Mint repos. Maybe I'll give Gnome-Boxes a try one of these days.

“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan

Pat D
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Pat D » Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:29 am

I wasn't aware of the caution against using the VB in the Software Manager; I used it because of the suggestion elsewhere that we should use repository software first.
So I'll try the newest version and post back.

dark
Level 3
Level 3

Post by dark » Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:04 pm

You can install guest tools from here to improve performance and stuff on Gnome Boxes. https://www.spice-space.org/download.html

Pat D
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Pat D » Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:20 pm

The difference between VB in the Mint repository and the current VB available at Oracle-Virtualbox is like night and day.

This one "works-out-of-the-box" which I liked in Gnome-Boxes. But as mentioned, a lot of things in Boxes only LOOK like they're working - I guess that Spice download is required.
So I'm back-tracking here - the new VB is living up to what's been said. It's the first version I've tried that wasn't an absolute pain-in-the-ass(ociated body parts) :D

GlennJohnson
Level 1
Level 1

Post by GlennJohnson » Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:05 pm

Another vote for VirtualBox. I've been using it for years on several Ubuntu type distros as well as Fedora. I'm very comfortable with it so for me there is no reason to try anything else. I did play with Boxes for a while but I can't seem to change the storage location. With VirtualBox all of my VM's are on a second disk, not on the system disk. That's what I prefer.
Glenn
The Bassinator
© ®

dark
Level 3
Level 3

Post by dark » Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:29 am

I think it would be great if someone develops a program that has exact VirtualBox like user interface but uses QEMU/KVM underneath. Virt Manager user interface is not as good as VirtualBox. I like VirtualBox user interface more but want to use QEMU/KVM because performance is much better and if easy GPU passthrough option is added to VirtualBox like user interface, it will be perfect. :D

Royi
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Royi » Thu May 10, 2018 5:21 am

How does VirtualBox 5.2.x compare to Boxes (Based on QEMU) performance wise?
Specifically running Windows 10.

Caltrop
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Caltrop » Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:52 am

I prefer VirtualBox 5.1.34, the 'new' 5.2 is too Windows 10 like & will not use current theme settings.
That & I just don't like the 'new' interface.

Gnome Boxes...
Never found it easy like 'they' said.
I can not find or create any system image ISO's that it requires. :?

VirtualBox can install an OS from a CD.
I find it easier.
I have old DOS 6.22, the newer FreeDOS, & Windows XP (the last good OS from Micro$oft).

I'm still trying to figure out how to get FreeDOS to share a host drive.
None of the examples I have found work.
I got 'samba' installed but the 'net' command in FreeDOS is NOT there! :(
I'll keep trying.

But yeah, VirtualBox over Gnome Boxes! :D

Return to “Software & Applications”