[SOLVED] gnome-terminal not working - probably due to some locale problem

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
sadi
Level 2
Level 2

[SOLVED] gnome-terminal not working - probably due to some locale problem

Post by sadi »

I've stumbled upon this problem a couple of times before, and unfortunately don't remember how I've managed to resolve it.
All I remember is that it was caused by a locale setting problem (this time I'll write it down) maybe related with the fact that I use a combination of US and UK English, and sometimes make a fresh install while keeping my /home partition...
No problem when logged in as Guest, so it must be due to some user-specific setting, but which?..
Any ideas please???
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Re: gnome-terminal not working - probably due to some locale problem

Post by Cosmo. »

What does "not working" mean? Not launching, giving strange output? Something else?
sadi
Level 2
Level 2

Re: gnome-terminal not working - probably due to some locale problem

Post by sadi »

Sorry for the ambiguity; when I first clicked on it (e.g. Menu/Favorites) nothing happened, and after I played with locale settings a bit ("/etc/default/locale" and "~/.pam_environment") I began to see an icon for a couple of secs only which then disappears...
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon
sadi
Level 2
Level 2

Re: [SOLVED] gnome-terminal not working - probably due to some locale problem

Post by sadi »

And...bingo!
I've just noticed that one of the settings in "~/.pam_environment" was pointing to a language not included in the list of languages installed (as shown in System Settings/Lanuages)
Thanks... I won't forget this again ;-)
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

Return to “Software & Applications”