[SOLVED]Latest Firefox update did not completely install.

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
gilloz
Level 2
Level 2

[SOLVED]Latest Firefox update did not completely install.

Post by gilloz »

When I turned on my computer this morning, I had a new Firefox update to install. I have an old Dell B130 Laptop that I use for my Linux Mint 18.3 32-Bit Mate. I notice that Firefox remained on the screen telling me it was unable to install the security portions of the update and therefore did not complete the installation. My present version is 57.0.3 32 Bit which appear to be the latest version when I verified the latest version. The Shield symbol to inform you that you have updates is no longer there, which tells me either it installed OK or it rejected the installation. Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks and Happy New Year to all.
Last edited by gilloz on Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rademes
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Latest Firefox update did not completely install.

Post by Rademes »

Firefox 57.0.3 is the latest Firefox that is currently available. I just have installed the update.
Edited, because made a mistake while suggesting a potentially dangerous command.
However personally I have been updating my Linux using this command since 2014 and it never broke my system.
Last edited by Rademes on Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Moem
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Moem »

The commands sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade should NOT be used by anyone who wants to use the safeguards that are present in the Mint Updater, as it bypasses the level system.

If you're going to post them, you should at the very least warn people about that. Newcomers should not be updating that way unless they're fully aware that this may break their system in ways that they probably don't know how to fix.

Plus, you're not answering the question.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

gilloz
Level 2
Level 2

Post by gilloz »

Sorry for my late reply. After searching about LM installations on older computers, I came to the conclusion, after reading some LM websites, that I needed to install an earlier version of LM because of my old computer. I have installed Linux Mint 17.1 Xcfe 32 Bit "Rebecca" and so far, after two Firefox updates, my computer is functioning good. Matter of fact, my web pages open up faster than before. Thanks for your responses.

Return to “Software & Applications”