Update Manager and the Kernel confusion

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
oakhilltop
Level 2
Level 2

Update Manager and the Kernel confusion

Post by oakhilltop »

I updated to 18.3 (from 18.1 I think) and now I constantly get the indication that updates are available. When I open the update manager, I see the packages:

4 Linux Kernel 4.10.0-42.46~16.04.1
4 linux-kernel-generic Its version is 4.10.0-38
4 mesa
4 systemd
4 ubuntu-drivers-common

The first linux kernel has an exclamation point for its Type. If I click on "Install Updates", it says no updates selected. So, if I want to get rid of the constant updates available icon, and am willing to risk trying a new kernel, should I check off the Upgrade box for all of these packages, or just the kernel packages?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Update Manager and the Kernel confusion

Post by xenopeek »

If they have an exclamation icon, it means these are security updates. It's recommended you install them but yes you have to mark them yourself for installation.

If you have not done so yet, you could consider using Timeshift. That came with Linux Mint 18.3 and makes snapshots of your system directories so you can roll back an upgrade if it causes problems for you.
oakhilltop
Level 2
Level 2

Post by oakhilltop »

Thanks,

So just update the kernel and let the update manager take care of it, or should I check off the linux-kernel-generic also?

I backup my system with rsync to an external drive, but I think I will give timeshift a try also.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Install any and all updates shown with an exclamation icon.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

If and which updates get pre-selected depends from your settings in the update manager and those again get changed, if you select a update policy; but after having set the policy you can still change the preferences to your liking. The relevant options are those on the level page of the preferences and in options the settings regarding security updates and kernel updates.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

oakhilltop wrote:I backup my system with rsync to an external drive, but I think I will give timeshift a try also.
Just fyi, timeshift uses rsync.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.

Return to “Software & Applications”