[SOLVED] How Do You Expand Folders into Subfolders in Linux Mint by Dragging Files to Folders?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
mintyfreshuser
Level 2
Level 2

[SOLVED] How Do You Expand Folders into Subfolders in Linux Mint by Dragging Files to Folders?

Post by mintyfreshuser » Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:26 am

Hi.

You know how when you open up "Files" in Linux Mint it displays on the left-hand side of the screen folders such as "My Computer", "Devices", and "Network"?

And you know how in the white area to the right of these folders are your files/folders?

Well, when I was using Windows 10, I could click on a file in the equivalent of this white area and drag it to a given folder on the left-hand side of the screen and that folder would then expand to reveal any subfolders it may have had.

Well, on Linux Mint it doesn't seem to work this way; when I click on a file in said white area and drag it to the left-hand side of the screen to put it in one of the folders there, that folder doesn't expand to reveal its subfolders if it has any.

This makes organizing files and folders harder than what I'm used to coming from Windows 10. In Windows 10 I could just click on a file/folder in the white area and drag it into its corresponding folder on the left-hand side of the screen and that folder would then expand to reveal its subfolders.

I realize that Linux Mint isn't Windows 10, but how can I make it so that when I click on a file in the white area and drag it to the left-hand side of the screen that that folder expands to reveal its subfolders? Linux Mint can be customized, right?

Thank you for any insight you might have about this topic.
Last edited by mintyfreshuser on Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Re: How Do You Expand Folders into Subfolders in Linux Mint by Dragging Files to Folders?

Post by Cosmo. » Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:59 am

What is your version of Mint and what is the desktop environment? If you don't know open a terminal and enter:

Code: Select all

inxi -Sz
Paste the output here.

Without this info (especially the desktop environment) a proper answer is impossible. Please remember this for all questions in the future.

The left hand side display is named sidebar. Just for simplifying communication.

mintyfreshuser
Level 2
Level 2

Re: How Do You Expand Folders into Subfolders in Linux Mint by Dragging Files to Folders?

Post by mintyfreshuser » Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:04 am

Thanks for your reply. You're right that I should have included that information.

The desktop environment that I'm using is Cinnamon 3.6.6.

The distro is Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia.

Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Cosmo. » Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:12 am

In Nemo (the file manager of Cinnamon) the sidebar has 2 modes: The default mode for showing places and a mode to show the tree structure. You can toggle between both modes either from the view menu or with the little icons at the bottom of the sidebar. In the first mode there is obviously nothing to expand, but in the second mode it does, what you want.

BTW: If you drag a file (or folder) inside the right part (it is called file pane) and hover the mouse for a few seconds over a folder, this folder gets expanded also. You can repeat this with the subfolders, until you have reached the target. I personally prefer to open a second pane (doable with F3) and arrange source and target folder side by side.

mintyfreshuser
Level 2
Level 2

Post by mintyfreshuser » Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:35 am

Cosmo. wrote:In Nemo (the file manager of Cinnamon) the sidebar has 2 modes: The default mode for showing places and a mode to show the tree structure. You can toggle between both modes either from the view menu or with the little icons at the bottom of the sidebar. In the first mode there is obviously nothing to expand, but in the second mode it does, what you want.

BTW: If you drag a file (or folder) inside the right part (it is called file pane) and hover the mouse for a few seconds over a folder, this folder gets expanded also. You can repeat this with the subfolders, until you have reached the target. I personally prefer to open a second pane (doable with F3) and arrange source and target folder side by side.
Thank you, it worked perfectly!

Moem
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Moem » Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:59 pm

mintyfreshuser wrote:it worked perfectly!
That's great, please mark the thread as solved now :D

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

Return to “Software & Applications”