[SOLVED] How to Make a USB Bluetooth Dongle Work with Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia (Cinnamon 3.6.6)?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mintyfreshuser

[SOLVED] How to Make a USB Bluetooth Dongle Work with Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia (Cinnamon 3.6.6)?

Post by mintyfreshuser »

Hi.

I'm using Linux 18.3 Sylvia with Cinnamon 3.6.6 desktop environment and I'm having a problem getting Bluetooth to work with my computer.

I'm using a USB Bluetooth dongle. I know that the dongle works because I used it on another operating system and it worked then.

The Bluetooth devices that I've tried paring don't show up at all when I scan for them using the Bluetooth software that I've tried.

So far I've tried using the Linux Bluetooth programs called "Blueman" and "Blueberry", but neither of them have worked.

With that said, what can I do to make this USB dongle work with this version of Linux Mint?

Thank you.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
jwrober

Re: How to Make a USB Bluetooth Dongle Work with Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia (Cinnamon 3.6.6)?

Post by jwrober »

Can you provide more details? for example what is the manufacturer of the BT dongle? Have you checked the syslog to see what kernel messages are coming up for bluetooth? More than likely the BT dongle uses broadcom chip inside and you will need to get a proprietary firmware for it to work.

I had similar challenges in my thread here that might help you

viewtopic.php?p=1407301
mintyfreshuser

Re: How to Make a USB Bluetooth Dongle Work with Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia (Cinnamon 3.6.6)?

Post by mintyfreshuser »

jwrober wrote:Can you provide more details? for example what is the manufacturer of the BT dongle? Have you checked the syslog to see what kernel messages are coming up for bluetooth? More than likely the BT dongle uses broadcom chip inside and you will need to get a proprietary firmware for it to work.

I had similar challenges in my thread here that might help you

viewtopic.php?p=1407301
Hi. Thank you for replying.

I'm not sure who manufactured the Bluetooth dongle, but it looks like this:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Bluetooth-Mini ... SwWKtUrIHZ.

I don't know how to check the syslog to see what kernel messages come up for Bluetooth. What do you type in the terminal to do that?

Right now I'm using the graphical Bluetooth manager called Blueman if that helps.

I've gotten these messages: "Device added successfully, but failed to connect" and "Connection Failed: blueman.bluez.errors.DBusFailedError: Host is down".
jwrober

Post by jwrober »

The easiest way to see the syslog is to use the dmesg command, as in

Code: Select all

dmesg | grep Blue
look for lines loading firmware or for errors of the same.
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Post by JeremyB »

Also post results for

lsusb
mintyfreshuser

Post by mintyfreshuser »

JeremyB wrote:Also post results for

lsusb
This is what came up after I entered lsusb.

"mintyfresh@MintyFresh ~ $ lsusb
Bus 002 Device 002: ID 0438:7900 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 001 Device 005: ID 04f2:b56c Chicony Electronics Co., Ltd
Bus 001 Device 004: ID 0bda:0177 Realtek Semiconductor Corp.
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 046d:c534 Logitech, Inc. Unifying Receiver
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 0438:7900 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
Bus 003 Device 004: ID 0a12:0001 Cambridge Silicon Radio, Ltd Bluetooth Dongle (HCI mode)
Bus 003 Device 002: ID 046d:c52b Logitech, Inc. Unifying Receiver
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub"
mintyfreshuser

Post by mintyfreshuser »

jwrober wrote:The easiest way to see the syslog is to use the dmesg command, as in

dmesg | grep Blue
look for lines loading firmware or for errors of the same.
This is what came up after I entered dmesg | grep Blue.

"mintyfresh@MintyFresh ~ $ dmesg | grep Blue
[ 2.858230] usb 3-2: Product: Bluetooth V2.0 Dongle
[ 13.612440] Bluetooth: Core ver 2.22
[ 13.612485] Bluetooth: HCI device and connection manager initialized
[ 13.612493] Bluetooth: HCI socket layer initialized
[ 13.612498] Bluetooth: L2CAP socket layer initialized
[ 13.612509] Bluetooth: SCO socket layer initialized
[ 14.362715] Bluetooth: BNEP (Ethernet Emulation) ver 1.3
[ 14.362718] Bluetooth: BNEP filters: protocol multicast
[ 14.362727] Bluetooth: BNEP socket layer initialized
[ 17.764559] Bluetooth: RFCOMM TTY layer initialized
[ 17.764575] Bluetooth: RFCOMM socket layer initialized
[ 17.764586] Bluetooth: RFCOMM ver 1.11
[14368.341184] usb 3-2: Product: Bluetooth V2.0 Dongle"
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi "mintyfreshuser",

I just read your post and the good replies to it. Here are my thoughts on this as well.

It would help to know more about your system setup. If you run "inxi -Fxzd" from the console terminal prompt, highlight the results, copy and paste them back here, that should provide enough information.

I have what appears to be the same type of USB Bluetooth Adapter (from Amazon.com) and when I boot up Cinnamon 18.3 it works just fine using "blueberry" Bluetooth. Works well in Linux Mint 18.2 KDE too. After I put the Bluetooth device I wanted in pairing mode, It took at least a minute on my older computer before it recognized it, but then it worked perfectly. It was quickly recognized after the first pairing.

Bus 001 Device 004: ID 0a12:0001 Cambridge Silicon Radio, Ltd Bluetooth Dongle (HCI mode)
Exactly what Bluetooth devices are you trying to connect with?

I connected a Bluetooth headset Motorola HT820 (and a Bluetooth stereo clock radio that is recognized as a headset), then I had to tell the sound system to use it which can be done from the system tray volume control (right-click, or regular click to Sound Settings) or from the Menu -> System Settings ->Sound.

On either Bluetooth device, it shows two sound options:
High Fidelity Playback A2DP Sink - volume controlled by computer and Bluetooth device, better sound, but no microphone option just speakers.
or
Headset Head Unit HSP/HFP (default) - volume controlled by Bluetooth device only and has microphone options, sound was not as good on mine.

FYI: I do not recommend using "passive" USB hubs which do not have their own power supply because they do not work well in Linux, or worse they work intermittently.

Hope this helps ...
Bluetooth1.jpg
Bluetooth3sm.jpg
Bluetooth4.jpg
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
mintyfreshuser

Post by mintyfreshuser »

phd21 wrote:Hi "mintyfreshuser",

I just read your post and the good replies to it. Here are my thoughts on this as well.

It would help to know more about your system setup. If you run "inxi -Fxzd" from the console terminal prompt, highlight the results, copy and paste them back here, that should provide enough information.
Hi. Thanks for your reply. Here are the results:

mintyfresh@MintyFresh ~ $ inxi -Fxzd
System: Host: MintyFresh Kernel: 4.10.0-38-generic x86_64 (64 bit gcc: 5.4.0)
Desktop: Cinnamon 3.6.6 (Gtk 3.18.9-1ubuntu3.3)
Distro: Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia
Machine: System: HP (portable) product: HP Notebook v: Type1ProductConfigId
Mobo: HP model: 8305 v: KBC Version 73.16
Bios: Insyde v: F.25 date: 01/19/2017
CPU: Quad core AMD E2-7110 APU with AMD Radeon R2 Graphics (-MCP-) cache: 8192 KB
flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 sse4a ssse3 svm) bmips: 14373
clock speeds: max: 1800 MHz 1: 1800 MHz 2: 1500 MHz 3: 1350 MHz
4: 1650 MHz
Graphics: Card: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Mullins [Radeon R3 Graphics]
bus-ID: 00:01.0
Display Server: X.Org 1.18.4 drivers: ati,radeon (unloaded: fbdev,vesa)
Resolution: 1366x768@60.00hz, 1920x1080@60.00hz
GLX Renderer: Gallium 0.4 on AMD MULLINS (DRM 2.49.0 / 4.10.0-38-generic, LLVM 4.0.0)
GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 17.0.7 Direct Rendering: Yes
Audio: Card-1 Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] FCH Azalia Controller
driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:14.2
Card-2 Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Kabini HDMI/DP Audio
driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:01.1
Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k4.10.0-38-generic
Network: Card-1: Realtek RTL8101/2/6E PCI Express Fast/Gigabit Ethernet controller
driver: r8169 v: 2.3LK-NAPI port: 3000 bus-ID: 02:00.0
IF: enp2s0 state: down mac: <filter>
Card-2: Realtek RTL8188EE Wireless Network Adapter
driver: rtl8188ee port: 2000 bus-ID: 03:00.0
IF: wlo1 state: up mac: <filter>
Drives: HDD Total Size: 628.0GB (18.1% used)
ID-1: /dev/sda model: SanDisk_SDSSDH35 size: 500.1GB
ID-2: USB /dev/sdb model: SD/MMC/MS_PRO size: 127.9GB
Optical: No optical drives detected.
Partition: ID-1: / size: 443G used: 37G (9%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/dm-0
ID-2: /boot size: 473M used: 69M (16%) fs: ext2 dev: /dev/sda2
ID-3: swap-1 size: 16.07GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/dm-1
RAID: No RAID devices: /proc/mdstat, md_mod kernel module present
Sensors: System Temperatures: cpu: 65.0C mobo: 0.0C gpu: 66.0
Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A
Info: Processes: 240 Uptime: 3:01 Memory: 2129.0/15005.4MB
Init: systemd runlevel: 5 Gcc sys: 5.4.0
Client: Shell (bash 4.3.481) inxi: 2.2.35
mintyfreshuser

Post by mintyfreshuser »

phd21 wrote: Exactly what Bluetooth devices are you trying to connect with?

I've been trying to connect an item called a Wicked Audio Bluetooth Audio Receiver (model WI-BTR4X ) which is a device that allows wired headphones to be used as though they were wireless headphones.

At one point it showed up in my Bluetooth manager as "Wicked Reach" (which is what it shows up as when I connect it to other devices that support Bluetooth) and it said it had paired, but sound still came from my speakers instead of the headphones plugged into the Wicked Audio receiver. It's possible that I had just overlooked telling the sound system to use it in the system tray volume control like you said you had to do with your Bluetooth device.

My situation now is that my Wicked Audio Bluetooth Audio Receiver doesn't show up at all in the Bluetooth manager. Both it and my Bluetooth dongle blink as if they're trying to connect to each other, but the Bluetooth manager just says "Searching for devices...".
mintyfreshuser

Post by mintyfreshuser »

I tried connecting another Bluetooth device (a Bluetooth keyboard) and it showed up immediately in the Bluetooth manager and paired without any problem.

It would seem then that the problem may be with the Wicked Audio receiver, but it doesn't make sense why this same audio receiver was able to be recognized by the Bluetooth manager previously and for it to say that it had paired.

What gives?
kukamuumuka

Post by kukamuumuka »

Remove Bluberry and install Blueman Bluetooth manager.

apt remove blueberry
apt install blueman
http://puolanka.info/goto/bluetooth-settings/
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi "mintyfreshuser",

I do not see anything wrong with the results of the "inxi -Fxzd" console terminal command, so that is a good thing.
mintyfreshuser wrote:I've been trying to connect an item called a Wicked Audio Bluetooth Audio Receiver (model WI-BTR4X ) which is a device that allows wired headphones to be used as though they were wireless headphones.

At one point it showed up in my Bluetooth manager as "Wicked Reach" (which is what it shows up as when I connect it to other devices that support Bluetooth) and it said it had paired, but sound still came from my speakers instead of the headphones plugged into the Wicked Audio receiver. It's possible that I had just overlooked telling the sound system to use it in the system tray volume control like you said you had to do with your Bluetooth device.
I agree with your assessment that when this device was first detected, you did not realize that you had to tell your system to use it.

Also, these devices are usually battery powered, so make sure it is charged, or a fresh battery, or if it has a power cable plug it in. I did not see any good detailed description of this.

+1 Since you were removing and adding various Bluetooth manager packages, you might have confused your system. The default Bluetooth manager package is the new "blueberry" one. Try "administrollaattori" suggestions remove both "blueberry" and "blueman" Bluetooth packages, and the install either one and reboot, try it, if no go, remove that one and install the other one, reboot, and try the other. I would use the "purge" command to remove completely option.

There are a lot of various Bluetooth receivers and most if not all of them should work with your Linux system.
Amazon.com: Bluetooth Audio Receiver
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss ... o+Receiver

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi "mintyfreshuser",

More information...

I also have a Bluetooth Receiver called the HomeSpot NFC (there is a newer better HD one available for a little more). I just tested it on my Linux Mint KDE 18.2 and Cinnamon 18.3 with a regular corded type stereo headset and it worked perfectly.

I prefer a Bluetooth receiver that can be used while it is charging or just run from its power cable. Some of these have a short battery life. These are very handy to have and use if you have Bluetooth devices like your computer or smartphone or a car's Bluetooth for receiving stereo audio to a regular corded headset (headphones, earbuds, etc...), regular speakers, through a stereo or TV audio input that does not have Bluetooth, etc...

Amazon.com: HomeSpot NFC-Enabled Bluetooth Audio Receiver for Sound System
https://www.amazon.com/HomeSpot-NFC-Ena ... h+receiver

Amazon.com: homespot Bluetooth receivers
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i ... ALVD7GNS0Z

I forgot to mention, that even if you change your Sound System Configuration Output Devices Tab to use the Bluetooth device, you may still have to click the Application's Tab and tell that application to use the Bluetooth device, see screenshots below. For instance, if you are playing music through the Audacious music player, you may have to tell your Sound Settings Application Tab to use that. In Cinnamon 18.3 sound Settings if you select the Output of the Bluetooth device (you can just right-click the volume icon and click Output and pick one), it automatically uses that for applications like the Audacious music player without going to the Sound Settings Application's Tab.

Hope this helps ...
Bluetooth_KDE_4.jpg
Bluetooth_KDE_3.jpg
Bluetooth_Cinnamon_1.jpg
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi "mintyfreshuser",

I found out something new regarding certain Bluetooth devices. There seems to be a quirk with Linux and or Linux Mint regarding the "Bluetooth receivers" that we have. In both my KDE 18.x and Cinnamon 18.3 system when I rebooted the "Bluetooth receiver" would not re-connect, or auto-connect, yet my other Bluetooth devices were automatically connected after the first pairing. Even if I went into the Bluetooth Manager and clicked to connect the Bluetooth receiver again, it would not connect.

Here is what I did that resolved that problem. I brought up the Bluetooth manager and deleted (removed) the Bluetooth device entry for the "Bluetooth receiver", rebooted, then re-added it again which required re-pairing it, then it stuck in both systems even after rebooting (restarting). After rebooting, I did have to tell the Bluetooth Manager to connect to the "Bluetooth receiver" which it did now without a problem every time.

Hope this helps ...
mintyfreshuser

Post by mintyfreshuser »

phd21 wrote:Hi "mintyfreshuser",

I found out something new regarding certain Bluetooth devices. There seems to be a quirk with Linux and or Linux Mint regarding the "Bluetooth receivers" that we have. In both my KDE 18.x and Cinnamon 18.3 system when I rebooted the "Bluetooth receiver" would not re-connect, or auto-connect, yet my other Bluetooth devices were automatically connected after the first pairing. Even if I went into the Bluetooth Manager and clicked to connect the Bluetooth receiver again, it would not connect.

Here is what I did that resolved that problem. I brought up the Bluetooth manager and deleted (removed) the Bluetooth device entry for the "Bluetooth receiver", rebooted, then re-added it again which required re-pairing it, then it stuck in both systems even after rebooting (restarting). After rebooting, I did have to tell the Bluetooth Manager to connect to the "Bluetooth receiver" which it did now without a problem every time.

Hope this helps ...
Thanks for all of your help with this problem.

Here's a quick update:

I've gotten the Wicked Reach Audio Receiver to work with my Bluetooth adapter, but only very poorly. I was able to connect twice, but each time the connection was very, very choppy. Furthermore, the first time I connected to Bluetooth with this adapter my Wifi became disabled. My Wifi came back as soon as I unplugged the Bluetooth adapter so it seems that this Bluetooth adapter and my Wifi can't both be used simultaneously.

It looks as though if I want to use Bluetooth with this laptop I'll need a Bluetooth receiver like one of the ones you mentioned.
Last edited by mintyfreshuser on Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi "mintyfreshuser",

You are welcome.

With your computer off, you might try another USB port for the Bluetooth Dongle, if you have one.

Good Luck and keep us posted...
mintyfreshuser

Post by mintyfreshuser »

Update: I purchased a Bluetooth dongle off of Amazon that worked with my audio receiver. It's made by a brand called "Plugable".

You can see the dongle for yourself if you go to Amazon and type "Plugable USB Bluetooth 4.0 Low Energy Micro Adapter (Windows 10, 8.1, 8, 7, Raspberry Pi, Linux Compatible; Classic Bluetooth, and Stereo Headset Compatible)" into the search box.

This Bluetooth dongle paired the first time I tried it with my audio receiver which means that the older Bluetooth dongle that I had been using was the main issue.

I went with this dongle because it's compact form factor and because it's USB powered.

Thanks everyone again for your help in resolving this issue!
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi "mintyfreshuser",

I had an older USB Bluetooth version 1.x adapter that would not work with Linux or Linux Mint. I also purchased a Bluetooth version 4 adapter from Amazon.com for less than $10us, and it works beautifully.

Return to “Software & Applications”