Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
SueS
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Skype 8.13.0.2

Post by SueS » Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:51 pm

Thanks. I appreciate your "for now" comment. Who knows how long it will work or what the consequences will be (security or other) from the earlier version not being current and Microsoft not supporting a Linux version of Skype. I was able to log on using the web version to send texts and chats. But the web version does not allow making voice or video calls. I hope Microsoft changes their mind.

brancalessio
Level 1
Level 1

Post by brancalessio » Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:25 am

Skype Web works with Google Chrome (maybe also with Chromium?) and Vivaldi. After some time the audio e video desynchronise, but maybe this is a further problem of my party and me. Firefox in Linux is not (still?) supported in Skype Web.

Did you try also these browsers?
SueS wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:51 pm
Thanks. I appreciate your "for now" comment. Who knows how long it will work or what the consequences will be (security or other) from the earlier version not being current and Microsoft not supporting a Linux version of Skype. I was able to log on using the web version to send texts and chats. But the web version does not allow making voice or video calls. I hope Microsoft changes their mind.

Eridanus7
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Eridanus7 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:02 am

SueS, If you are happy to send texts, chats, voice calls, and AV items one could use Signal on your Mobile Linux device (Android) - well Linux kernel.

See: https://lifehacker.com/secure-messaging ... 1794684943

I have to admit that the thought of running Microsoft library’s, or anything Microsoft, directly on Linux desktops is a security nightmare.

Could be OK run inside Virtualbox, VMware or, perhaps, QEMU. But, ones machine needs the resources to do this. On small single core CPU machines with limited RAM or small SSD's this just won't work.

What might work is using a USB memory stick with a copy of Android, Signal & Skype on it. Boot your small PC into a large Android device! You can even get Skype for Android (via Google Play Store) see also; http://www.android-x86.org/

This should get over most of the security objections - if Skype corrupts your USB stick, one just erases it and reloads the copy.

Just an idea, I might play with this when time permits.

QEMU is a free and open source software emulator for the Linux desktop.

Return to “Software & Applications”