KDE Dolphin on MATE

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
miquelets
Level 1
Level 1

KDE Dolphin on MATE

Post by miquelets »

HI, i am updating computer and Linux Mint Mate. All new! I have installed Dolphin from the KDE suite (like on my old computer) but can't find which package to install to populate the Settings; Configure Dolphin; General; Previews. In my old installation I have a working mouse over JPG's to show in the preview panel.
Anyone have an idea?
Thanks in advance, Pete
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
orschiro
Level 4
Level 4

Re: KDE Dolphin on MATE

Post by orschiro »

You could try installing one of the meta packages: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/InstallingKDE
lmuserx4849

Post by lmuserx4849 »

miquelets wrote:HI, i am updating computer and Linux Mint Mate. All new! I have installed Dolphin from the KDE suite (like on my old computer) but can't find which package to install to populate the Settings; Configure Dolphin; General; Previews. In my old installation I have a working mouse over JPG's to show in the preview panel.
Anyone have an idea?
Thanks in advance, Pete
I believe those are Dolphin Settings.

If you do not have the Menubar, hit ctrl-m. It's a toggle and can be seen under Settings -> Show Menu.

Then Settings -> Configure Dolphin.

Take a look at View -> Panels -> Information or F11.

Note: I wish developers would stop trying to take away the Menubar. :-)
miquelets
Level 1
Level 1

Post by miquelets »

Merci Orschiro,
I found some packages there to install and then a relogin and bingo.
Thanks
Pete
lmuserx4849

Post by lmuserx4849 »

miquelets wrote:Merci Orschiro,
I found some packages there to install and then a relogin and bingo.
Thanks
Pete
Is your setup a Mate desktop with some KDE applications like dolphin?

What packages did you end up installing?

I was looking at the link from the second entry and I don't have those packages (LM 18.3). I'm guessing, but it looks like kde-full is now kubuntu-full, kubuntu-default-settings is kubuntu-settings-desktop, and kde-plasma-desktop is kuntuntu-active.
(i) kubuntu-desktop -- This is the recommended metapackage to install; the full Kubuntu installation, with all the Kubuntu recommended packages. This includes LibreOffice, Kontact, Konversation, Amarok, K3B, and others.

(ii) kde-full -- This will install the following KDE packages: kdegames, kdeaccessibility, kdeplasma-addons, kdeadmin, kdeartwork, kdegraphics, kdemultimedia, kdenetwork, kdepim, kdesdk, kdeutils, kdewebdev, and the kde-plasma-desktop metapackage (see details below).

(iii) kde-plasma-desktop --- This will install the core -- the bare-minimum required-- of KDE. That is, kdebase-apps, kdebase-runtime, kdebase-workspace and kdm.

If you choose to not install kubuntu-desktop, then you can still get all the Kubuntu-specific tweaks by installing the kubuntu-default-settings package. For users with GTK applications, you will need the kde-config-gtk-style and/or gtk3-engines-oxygen package(s) installed, if they aren't already, for proper integration.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/InstallingKDE

Return to “Software & Applications”