Skype doesnt work anymore

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Arko1

Skype doesnt work anymore

Post by Arko1 »

Hi everybody!
Since few days (maybe after an update), skype doesnt want to work.
When I open it, there is juste a whitescreen.
Do you know where does it come from? Or what can I do?
Thank you!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
orschiro
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Skype doesnt work anymore

Post by orschiro »

Downgrade to a previous version.
ClixTrix

Post by ClixTrix »

If you're running an older version of Mint, e.g. Mint 17, I've also encountered the problem with latest skypeforlinux 8.13.0.2. It's been reported at the skypeforlinux MS forum for Ubuntu 14.04 LTS (basis for Mint 17).

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/sky ... fe3aac91c1

Yes, go back to older version per advise by orschiro, and the link to repository for download is on that forum post.
lmuserx4849

Post by lmuserx4849 »

ClixTrix wrote:If you're running an older version of Mint, e.g. Mint 17, I've also encountered the problem with latest skypeforlinux 8.13.0.2. It's been reported at the skypeforlinux MS forum for Ubuntu 14.04 LTS (basis for Mint 17).

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/sky ... fe3aac91c1

Yes, go back to older version per advise by orschiro, and the link to repository for download is on that forum post.
LM17.3 KDE same problem. Even Help -> About Skype doesn't work. I'm going to downgrade to 8.11.0.4.

More info in this MS entry.

They are saying it is the version of xrandr (need 1.5). However LMDE2 has xrandr 1.4.2 (LM17.3's version 1.4.1), and skype 8.13.0.2 works on LMDE2. LM18.3 has xrandr 1.5.
Last edited by lmuserx4849 on Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:11 pm, edited 3 times in total.
ajgreeny
Level 7
Level 7

Post by ajgreeny »

On my Xubuntu 16.04 I am using Skype version 8.13.76.8 from the skype repositories that are enabled when you install the new version first time and mine is working mostly very well, but with a few things needed to get it running properly.

I have mine set to autostart at boot or when I start a new session, but not to start minimised. I think the option to start it minimised to the panel icon has now been removed from this new version (it was in the Tools menu but has now disappeared) which may be as a result of the empty screen you see which sounds the same as I did when using the start minimised option.
My Skype now starts automatically to a proper working window which I then have to minimise, but it does work very well, and it also will now send SMS text messages which older versions of skypeforlinux would not do.
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

Arko1 wrote:Hi everybody!
Thank you!
You can get previous versions here:
https://repo.skype.com/deb/pool/main/s/skypeforlinux/

I had the problem of Skype not recognizing the webcam. I installed version 8.11.0.4

All is well now after that.
Ange des ténèbres
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Ange des ténèbres »

Hey,

I got the same issue on Linux Mint 17.2.
After downgrading the Skype version to 8.11.0.4, it just works fine again.

Thanks.
Ange des ténèbres
Tugaleres.com
Arko1

Post by Arko1 »

JerryF wrote:
Arko1 wrote:Hi everybody!
Thank you!
You can get previous versions here:
https://repo.skype.com/deb/pool/main/s/skypeforlinux/

I had the problem of Skype not recognizing the webcam. I installed version 8.11.0.4

All is well now after that.

It's ok, it works! Thanx! :wink:
lmuserx4849

Post by lmuserx4849 »

I don't know anyone on LM 17.3 that can run skypeforlinux 8.13.02. They all have had to downgrade to 8.11.0.4.

This goes against the MS Requirements for skypeforlinux:
Version

64-bit Ubuntu 14.04+
64-bit Debian 8.0+
64-bit OpenSUSE 13.3+
64-bit Fedora Linux 24+
Note: They should have added qnome-keyring in the section: Additional software. None gnome based desktops, like kde, have to add it.

I'm following, Skype for Linux 8.13.0.2 fails to start (Ubuntu 14.04, 64-bit) for updates.
lmuserx4849

Post by lmuserx4849 »

There's a new skypeforlinux 8.14.0.10, but it did not fix the problem on LM 17.3 (white window).

I thought I had a link to release notes, but it is not current. But if you click on "Known Issues" and expand the Desktop section, it lists:
Linux users may experience a blue or white screen.
To resolve this issue, please update to the latest version of the new Skype for Linux.
But it is the latest version that is causes the white screen....hhhhmmmm...
lmuserx4849

Re: Skype doesnt work anymore 8.15.0.4 - snap? - 8.17.0.2 works

Post by lmuserx4849 »

2018-03-06 - Skypeforlinux 8.17.0.2 worked on LM17.3 (no white screen)

The first time I had to revert to a previous version, I should have captured the source package. Before I tried the above, I found this PPA that has 8.11.0.4. I also did a sudo dpkg-repack skypeforlinu (see src). I compared the two debs and the only difference was a changelog.

2018-02-06 - Skypeforlinux 8.15.0.4

8.11.0.4 Last version that worked with LM 17.3

This seems to be "a solution", but I have tried snap yet.

Skype Is Now Available as SNAP

Return to “Software & Applications”