[SOLVED] Can't stop VLC opening jpegs (new behaviour)

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
edzell
Level 4
Level 4

Post by edzell »

Mint mate 17.3: I have VLC installed for viewing videos, and Irfanview for still pictures (with all relevant file associations selected.) Until today this has worked well but now, without warning, if I select (click) a jpeg in my file manager, it opens in VLC instead of Irfan. I can find no way to stop this and get back to my previous - preferred - file association settings. Under VLC's preferences I see no function for setting associations. I've tried un- & re-installing VLC (with reboot) to no avail, as well as disabling & re-enabling the Irfan file associations.

I think the change happened after I clicked on a file with an unfamiliar extension. It opened & ran in VLC.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, Edzell.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
wallaroo
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Can't stop VLC opening jpegs (new behaviour)

Post by wallaroo »

Easiest way is to right-click on any jpg file and select 'Properties' then 'Open With'.
From there you can manage the associations by adding or removing apps, and also set the default app.
edzell
Level 4
Level 4

Post by edzell »

Thanks Wallaroo; going via a file's properties menu did the trick. Can't think why VLC had suddenly become the default.

Return to “Software & Applications”