Updatedb.mlocate: what's it good for? how to deactivate it?[SOLVED]

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
foersu
Level 3
Level 3

Updatedb.mlocate: what's it good for? how to deactivate it?[SOLVED]

Post by foersu »

Hello,

Directly after powering on my notebook I noticed a very intensive activity on the HD which lasted for several minutes.
Using htop, I could see that updatedb.mlocate was producing a high CPU load. I did not know this application before and was not aware, that it runs at start up time of my notebook.

I started researching in the web about this program and now I have a coarse idea of what it is.

But I still have the following questions:
  • which applications make use of the data base and require therefore, that this one is continuously updated?
  • is it a new feature of Ubuntu/Mint to set it up at installation time to run daily? I have been using Mint for several years and did not take notice of it before
  • is there a major drawback if I dissable/deactivate it at all?
  • how do I deactivate it completely? (Rem.: I do not want to delete it, only deactivate)
Thanks in advance for any information.

Regards

My OS:
Mint 18.2, Xfce 64-bits.
(No further OSs in my notebook)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Re: Updatedb.mlocate: what's it good for? how to deactivate it?

Post by trytip »

in etc/cron.daily/ there is a script mlocate you can compress it then delete the file. if you want to reactivate go back to etc/cron.daily/ and UNcompress mlocate

mlocate is stored in /var/lib/mlocate/ and it's a database for making file search faster. i usually update it with catfish under settings Update search index
blockhead47
Level 3
Level 3

Post by blockhead47 »

updatedb and locate are the associated commands
Both commands are standard linux commands. I believe both are in the core Linux Mint OS install
I think most of your questions can be answered using the man command

Code: Select all

man updatedb
and

Code: Select all

man locate
A little googling produces a nice tutorial at https://www.tecmint.com/linux-locate-co ... -examples/
foersu
Level 3
Level 3

Post by foersu »

Thank you all for your responses.

@ trytip: indirectly you gave me a very practical way to easily update the db using catfish. I just tried it and it worked! Can I deduce, that catfish is based upon the "locate" Unix/Linux command?

Regards
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

i wouldn't say catfish is based on locate but does use that as a resource. is your issue SOLVED?

Return to “Software & Applications”