Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
White Phoenix
Level 4
Level 4

[Solved] Text Editor Needed

Post by White Phoenix » Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:01 pm

I need to run a spell check, and a search and replace on multiple text files. I need to be able to convert all non-Unicode files to UTF-8 automatically. I need a text editor that will do all of this and be 100% compatible with UTF-8. Boxer can do everything except the last and gEdit is only good because it is 100% compatible with UTF-8. A plugin to for gEdit would be fine, if one exists. I am tired of useless searches for plugins that don’t exist.

The text editor does not need to be free. It does not need to be open source. It needs to work. I wish Linux developers would understand this.
Last edited by White Phoenix on Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Linux Mint 17.3 / MATE
Toshiba Satellite L655d-S5151 (Intel dual processor, 64bit, 4G RAM)

Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Re: (power user) Text Editor Needed

Post by Fred Barclay » Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:28 pm

I believe Atom can do all that.
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein

Mute Ant
Level 14
Level 14

Post by Mute Ant » Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:33 pm

"I wish Linux developers would understand this." They don't care if you like it, it's just not on the list of things-to-do.
While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named "manual".

karlchen
Level 20
Level 20

Post by karlchen » Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:53 pm

Hello, White Phoenix.

You may be interested in this webpage, 7 Best Notepad++ Alternatives For Linux.
It suggests that there are more power users who need text editors which can fulfil more than the very basic editors like gedit, xed, mousepad or leafpad.

The challenge with getting such editors into the official software repositories is finding skilled people who are willing to invest the needed time and to maintain such an editor in the official software repositories.

By the way, some of the 7 editors are available in the official software repositories. And the mentioned editor Atom is on the list as well.

So perhaps next time ask first whether what you need already exists, before starting a rant against the Linux developers.

HTH,
Karl
Linux Mint 19.2 64-bit Cinnamon, Total Commander 9.22a 64-bit
Haß gleicht einer Krankheit, dem Miserere, wo man vorne herausgibt, was eigentlich hinten wegsollte. (Goethe)

Joe2Shoe
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Joe2Shoe » Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:57 pm

Kate works for me.
"Tolerance is the refuge of men without conviction."
"Common sense is not so common" - Voltaire

White Phoenix
Level 4
Level 4

Post by White Phoenix » Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:06 pm

The challenge with getting such editors into the official software repositories is finding skilled people who are willing to invest the needed time and to maintain such an editor in the official software repositories.
Which is why they should charge for it.

And yes, I have searched, multiple times, for years. And I keep getting the “but your getting it for free” line, even after telling them I am willing to pay for good software. By the way, I did ask before I ranted. And which part is the rant? The part where I wrote it doesn’t need to be free or opensource, or the part where I wrote I wish they understood that?

I really don’t care about their insensitivity to what people want.
Linux Mint 17.3 / MATE

Joe2Shoe
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Joe2Shoe » Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:40 pm

Notepadqq is an exact replica of Notepad++, at least in terms of looks. It is free and open source. In Ubuntu and Linux Mint, you can install Notepadqq using its official PPA. Open a terminal and use the following command:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:notepadqq-team/notepadqq
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install notepadqq

I like Notepadqq. It works very well.

White Phoenix
Level 4
Level 4

Post by White Phoenix » Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:46 am

Thanks Joe2Shoe, I tried Notpadqq it announced that the Qt in the Mint distro was too old. I tried getting it updated, but couldn’t get the Qt repository to work. Notepadqq said it would try to make do with the old Qt, but I passed.

As for the others, I just checked out the other suggestions and some of them could not open several HTML files without separating them from other files in the folder. They had no way to specify what type of files to look at. And they even included image files in the list. No way to sort by file type or extension either. Separating the files is way too much work for a task that should have taken no more than an hour.

Then the others did have a filter, but when I selected HTML no files were listed.

I have to use Boxer under Wine or in Window anyway, so I can go into Windows and do this if I have to. As I recall I did try NotePad++ before deciding on Boxer. So it should have a similar interface, which is good too. So NotePad++ for Windows looks like my best bet, if it can edit several files at once. Otherwise. I will have to do about fifty files one at a time looking for the same errors.
Linux Mint 17.3 / MATE

bertradio
Level 2
Level 2

Post by bertradio » Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:09 am

Using Geany and love it. I believe it does what you need and it's open source. For spell check there is a plugin.

smurphos
Level 13
Level 13

Post by smurphos » Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:23 am

+1 for Geany.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.

catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel » Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:15 am

karlchen wrote:You may be interested in this webpage, 7 Best Notepad++ Alternatives For Linux.
Well blow me over. Notepaddqq is the bee's knees for me. Thank you for the tip.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.

White Phoenix
Level 4
Level 4

Post by White Phoenix » Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:17 am

Project completed with NotePad++. It has either a slight glitch or I couldn’t figure out how to use it to remove line enders under certain conditions as you can with gEdit or Boxer. NotePad++ uses a completely different way of handling the problem from either. I can figure it out later when I have more time.
Linux Mint 17.3 / MATE

Joe2Shoe
Level 4
Level 4

Re: [Solved] Text Editor Needed

Post by Joe2Shoe » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:27 am

Running Notepadqq on my machine in the About section, it states "This program uses Qt version 5.5.1.".

You may also try Bluefish Editor, an html editor that I use to create webpages in LM.

Return to “Software & Applications”