Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
johonunu
Level 3
Level 3

Mint nanny problem or bug

Post by johonunu »

Hi, I noticed that Mint Nanny has a bug. I made a block on facebook doman and that is working.
Today children are very familiar with computers, so they know a lot.
What if someone insted of domain(URL) type IP address of Facebook (69.63.176.140).
Mint Nanny would let them with no problem, even if it is on the block list.
It would be good that Mint Nanny could block this too.

Here is my block list :
-------------------------------------
facebook.com
http://www.facebook.com
-------------------------------------

I just wanted to report this,
Johonunu
My Minty Laptop Configuration
Lenovo G550
4GB DDR3
Nvidia G105M
300 GB HDD
http://www.trifunovic.me/
Husse
Level 23
Level 23

Re: Mint nanny problem or bug

Post by Husse »

It's well known
To get an application that covers that too would need "a bit" more work - it is a simple tool
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

johonunu, your comments are appreciated! Husse is right though, it is a simple tool. Maybe Clem can find a way to improve mintNanny in the future.
Last edited by exploder on Mon May 25, 2009 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
johonunu
Level 3
Level 3

Post by johonunu »

No problem ;)
Just wanted to make Linux Mint even better then it already is :-D
My Minty Laptop Configuration
Lenovo G550
4GB DDR3
Nvidia G105M
300 GB HDD
http://www.trifunovic.me/
marcus0263
Level 4
Level 4

Post by marcus0263 »

exploder wrote:johonunu, your comments are appreciated! Husse is right though, it is a simple tool. Maybe Clem can find a way to improve mintNanny in the future.
OK flame me, call me what you will but IMO MintNanny is a waste of time at this juncture of Mint. Resources should be focused on better areas other than a basic proxy that is in demand by those who get excited about either the Muslim or Christian flavor Ubuntu. :shock:

Besides they don't work, there's always an easy work around to bypass them ;)
Shuttle SX58
Intel i7 Gulftown Hex Core
G.Skill 16Gig 1333
OCS Vertex 2 SSD
Segate SATA II
Palit GeForce GTS 450
LMKDE 14 64Bit

Where Thought Crime is Committed
Reject the Herd
fliteshare
Level 1
Level 1

Post by fliteshare »

Resources should be focused on better areas other than a basic proxy that is in demand by those who get excited about either the Muslim or Christian flavor Ubuntu. :shock:
My Idea, since I adhere to the more atheist views anyway, I descided to delete such nanny immediately.
Mintinstall got rid of that program without a peep
More problematic was that Mintjanitor thought the other 156 programs weren't really necessary anymore either
Hit the proceed button (out of habit not wisdom)
Oops
This caused me to take another round through that fabulous mint installer.
In my case funny but
What causes the removal of nanny to set the ok to delete everything else for janitor ???

Greets, fliteshare
marcus0263
Level 4
Level 4

Post by marcus0263 »

fliteshare wrote:
Resources should be focused on better areas other than a basic proxy that is in demand by those who get excited about either the Muslim or Christian flavor Ubuntu. :shock:
My Idea, since I adhere to the more atheist views anyway, I descided to delete such nanny immediately.
Mintinstall got rid of that program without a peep
More problematic was that Mintjanitor thought the other 156 programs weren't really necessary anymore either
Hit the proceed button (out of habit not wisdom)
Oops
This caused me to take another round through that fabulous mint installer.
In my case funny but
What causes the removal of nanny to set the ok to delete everything else for janitor ???

Greets, fliteshare
It's part of the "Metapackage", to resolve this after removing useless programs like MintNanny just run "aptitude keep-all" and that will restore the sanity.

But seriously MintNanny is completely useless unless someone has the time and resources to devote millions of man hours tracking down the 10's of thousands of "****" sites on the web. Not to mention the thousands created daily, even that is useless due to the numerous proxies available out there that bypasses such filters.

MintNanny does nothing other than give unknowing people a sense of false security.
Shuttle SX58
G.Skill 16Gig 1333
OCS Vertex 2 SSD
Segate SATA II
Palit GeForce GTS 450
LMKDE 14 64Bit

Reject the Herd
Husse
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Husse »

Well - you have to remember that not all kids are geeks and not all kids roam around the entire net, so mintNanny works for a lot of people
Of course no tool what so ever will block all "bad" sites
marcus0263
Level 4
Level 4

Post by marcus0263 »

Husse wrote:Well - you have to remember that not all kids are geeks and not all kids roam around the entire net, so mintNanny works for a lot of people
Of course no tool what so ever will block all "bad" sites
It doesn't take a geek to get website address from one of their friends. Nor does it take a "geek" to have a site show up in a random web search, you're seriously being rather naive ;)
Shuttle SX58
G.Skill 16Gig 1333
OCS Vertex 2 SSD
Segate SATA II
Palit GeForce GTS 450
LMKDE 14 64Bit

Reject the Herd
Husse
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Husse »

No not naive - I just hope that we have some ordinary (?) unknowing computer users in our ranks - the Windows type :)
It is impossible to stop access to all bad sites unless it is done by the ISP like the filter that stops child **** in some European countries - it is rather efficient, but not efficient enough sadly
We are of course well aware of the limitations but mintNanny is well received....
marcus0263
Level 4
Level 4

Post by marcus0263 »

Husse wrote:No not naive - I just hope that we have some ordinary (?) unknowing computer users in our ranks - the Windows type :)
It is impossible to stop access to all bad sites unless it is done by the ISP like the filter that stops child **** in some European countries - it is rather efficient, but not efficient enough sadly
We are of course well aware of the limitations but mintNanny is well received....
My point being that "if" it is being well received, they are an extremely naive group. I'm really not trying to start anything here but being aware is important. Kids which this is designed to so call "protect" just need to get an web address from a friend, either an unblocked site or a private proxy. The reality is that there are 10's of thousands of sites out there and thousands being created every day. It's impossible

What MintNanny does do is give a naive public a false sense of security, if you truly wished to provide some "filtering" ability why not include one that actually works in the base package. Or maybe have an effective tool that monitors what sites are visited :wink:
Shuttle SX58
G.Skill 16Gig 1333
OCS Vertex 2 SSD
Segate SATA II
Palit GeForce GTS 450
LMKDE 14 64Bit

Reject the Herd
Husse
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Husse »

I think we should stop arguing about this :)
Of course you are right
I'll make a suggestion about a better tool
marcus0263
Level 4
Level 4

Post by marcus0263 »

Husse wrote:I think we should stop arguing about this :)
Of course you are right
I'll make a suggestion about a better tool
No worries I wasn't trying to make an issue out of it, just lending some "constructive criticism" ;)

But yes there really does need to be a better tool because for those who have kids they really need to know what their kids are doing on the Internet.
Shuttle SX58
G.Skill 16Gig 1333
OCS Vertex 2 SSD
Segate SATA II
Palit GeForce GTS 450
LMKDE 14 64Bit

Reject the Herd
optimize me
Level 5
Level 5

Post by optimize me »

marcus0263 wrote:What MintNanny does do is give a naive public a false sense of security, if you truly wished to provide some "filtering" ability why not include one that actually works in the base package.
I think they call that a Hosts file, don't they?

That, and a secure sudo/root password so it can't be edited by "undesirables" seems like a sure fire way to block unwanted sites. It's always worked for me, anyways.
AMD Phenom II X6 1045T 2.8GHz 8GB DDR3 RAM ATI Radeon HD6970
Husse
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Husse »

@ optimize me
You completely missed the point
You can use the IP to go round the hosts file at least for some sites
Those that share the same IP with other sites, which is not uncommon, can't be bypassed ...
emorrp1
Level 8
Level 8

Post by emorrp1 »

also editing the hosts file is exactly what mintNanny actually does!

As for the original opinion, I think it does what it does ok, there's never going to be a way to block all the proxies (hey, I used to bypass my school's restrictions using online proxies) Also wouldn't the "web-address from a friend" normally be the one you blocked e.g. www.facebook.com so it's only a problem when dealing with kids with enough technical know-how to get the IP address directly. IP addresses are difficult to block, as they can change for some sites (that's what DNSs are for) Also it's my opinion that if they succeed in getting that far, they should be welcomed into the fold and taught how to use the web responsibly, restrictions are never perfect and this way you can redirect their creative energy somewhere useful. Possibly UFW provides better functionality/security (at the cost of ease-of-use) I imagine mintNanny is all that's needed for most people.
If you have a question that has been answered and solved, then please edit your original post and put a [SOLVED] at the end of your subject header
Hint - use a google search including the search term site:forums.linuxmint.com
marcus0263
Level 4
Level 4

Post by marcus0263 »

Not to mention what I posted about the feeble attempt of trying to stay current with "bad sites". Then also the uselessness of even trying to keep said list updated due to easily obtained proxy sites.
Shuttle SX58
G.Skill 16Gig 1333
OCS Vertex 2 SSD
Segate SATA II
Palit GeForce GTS 450
LMKDE 14 64Bit

Reject the Herd
optimize me
Level 5
Level 5

Post by optimize me »

No web-blocking software will ever be complete, will ever be all-encompassing, or will ever catch every single thing that one particular person/group wants it to. If it was possible, I think interested parties like the Chinese government would have it or have developed it by now.

My point was - and I thought by quoting the sentence I quoted about why isn't there an easy-to-configure blocking app in the base install made it obvious what I was getting at - that the hosts file is easily configurable, and is included in the base install of just about any modern OS you can ever think of. And how hard is it to pop up a terminal and enter something like

Code: Select all

echo 127.0.0.1     www.example.somedomain.com >> /etc/hosts
from a root terminal whenever you run across something that needs to be blocked?

No, it's never easy to maintain a plain-text list that big. There's ready-made hosts files available online that reach into the hundreds of KB. You can always add to or take away from it as you see fit. Sure, it requires effort.. But what doesn't?

Does editing a list by making changes to a big text file become any easier just because you slap a GUI interface on it and call it a Nanny?

No offense intended to anyone, but if you're going to be a concerned parent, walk the walk, don't just talk the talk and expect a piece of software to do your job for you.

I'll attach my hosts file just in case anyone wants a decent start on one. It's around 40 or so KB when extracted, and it catches a lot of **** sites, adult dating, and miscellaneous ad servers.

Granted, as pointed out before, a hosts file isn't perfect and it can be worked around by those with the skills to do so. But who are you trying to protect - the teenager who can code circles around you, or the eight yr old who you don't want stumbling across the darker corners of the internet? Ans what are you going to do when the teen or the 8yr old figures out how to download, install, and configure something like Tor?

Something is better than nothing, and if I get what you guys are all saying, nothing is pretty much what you've got right now.
AMD Phenom II X6 1045T 2.8GHz 8GB DDR3 RAM ATI Radeon HD6970
emorrp1
Level 8
Level 8

Post by emorrp1 »

optimize me wrote:Does editing a list by making changes to a big text file become any easier just because you slap a GUI interface on it and call it a Nanny?
To some people, yes. I agree the terminal isn't hard or scary, but some users think just that, and for them Mint provides mintNanny.
optimize me wrote:why isn't there an easy-to-configure blocking app in the base install
Because as pointed out earlier, blocking stuff is complicated, and that adds a certain amount of complexity to the configuring tool. mintNanny walks a fine line, perhaps too much on the easy-to-use side, hopefully more features will be added for the future releases, but only if requested. Also UFW is relatively easy to use, with some good features too.
If you have a question that has been answered and solved, then please edit your original post and put a [SOLVED] at the end of your subject header
Hint - use a google search including the search term site:forums.linuxmint.com
marcus0263
Level 4
Level 4

Post by marcus0263 »

emorrp1 wrote:
optimize me wrote:Does editing a list by making changes to a big text file become any easier just because you slap a GUI interface on it and call it a Nanny?
To some people, yes. I agree the terminal isn't hard or scary, but some users think just that, and for them Mint provides mintNanny.
optimize me wrote:why isn't there an easy-to-configure blocking app in the base install
Because as pointed out earlier, blocking stuff is complicated, and that adds a certain amount of complexity to the configuring tool. mintNanny walks a fine line, perhaps too much on the easy-to-use side, hopefully more features will be added for the future releases, but only if requested. Also UFW is relatively easy to use, with some good features too.
Again you're missing the point, as per my post -
marcus0263 wrote:Not to mention what I posted about the feeble attempt of trying to stay current with "bad sites". Then also the uselessness of even trying to keep said list updated due to easily obtained proxy sites.
IMO mintNanny gives a completely false sense of security to parents and those that use it since it is so easily bypassed. Now if someone really wants something of use they should have a monitoring tool to see what they're kids are looking at and where they are going to. Blocking is just to easily bypassed without the parent having a clue
Shuttle SX58
G.Skill 16Gig 1333
OCS Vertex 2 SSD
Segate SATA II
Palit GeForce GTS 450
LMKDE 14 64Bit

Reject the Herd

Return to “Software & Applications”