Timeshift Schedule

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
TechnoJunky

Timeshift Schedule

Post by TechnoJunky »

I have an older computer and when Timeshift runs, it is pretty useless until it finishes. I see how to change it from daily to weekly, etc, but doesn't allow you to change the time of day that it runs. It always wants to run at about 6 AM, which is a time that I am always on my computer. I'd much prefer it to run in the middle of the night instead. Can anyone tell me how to change that?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Re: Timeshift Schedule

Post by Cosmo. »

To my knowledge this is not doable at now. At least I do not see a way, how to accomplish that.
Terryphi
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Terryphi »

Just do manual backups not scheduled ones. Then you can do them at a time and frequency that suits you.
Version: LM 21.3 64bit Mate "If something is worth doing, it is worth doing for free."
BG405
Level 9
Level 9

Post by BG405 »

You could try initially setting up the schedule just after your usual bedtime (means staying up late once) as it'll probably run at that time subsequently.
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------Acer Aspire One D255E - LM21.3 Xfce
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

Terryphi wrote:Just do manual backups not scheduled ones. Then you can do them at a time and frequency that suits you.
Right. You can run the backup at any time later easily with the sleep command.
For example, if I want to download a Mint .iso 3 hours after I go to bed, the command would be:

Code: Select all

sleep 3h ; wget -c http://mirrors.kernel.org/linuxmint/stable/18.3/linuxmint-18.3-cinnamon-64bit.iso
You could set up a chron job to run your Timeshift command.
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018
Pat D

Post by Pat D »

Me, too.
I've just discovered that, while I had Timeshift scheduled for weekly, it was doing a backup every 30 - 60 minutes.
Nothing I can find affects this. I want a backup program I can schedule, because I tend to forget.
I tried so many now, I'm verging on giving up and just rebuilding periodically. Seriously, I'm sure it's this HP box, but no backup I've yet tried works consistently.

Any ideas out there?
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

Pat D wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:36 pm I had Timeshift scheduled for weekly, it was doing a backup every 30 - 60 minutes.
Really? I doubt that. TS looks at every full hour, if a new snapshot is needed (= the interval since the last snapshot has exceeded the value in the setting), but that's all. There should not be more than 1 snapshot per calendar week. (Exception is schedule for boot time.)
Pat D

Post by Pat D »

Doubt it all you want.
The backups were every hour, with half-hour ones thrown in. The schedule setting didn't affect it.
No good on this box. Uninstalled.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

Pat D wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:39 am Uninstalled.
This removes the possibility to provide a screenshot of the snapshot list and the settings.
Pat D

Post by Pat D »

Thanks for all, though.
A few days ago I started messing with encryption and email; I don't know how, but the box started doing all kinds of weird things, not just with Timeshift. I have another post here about the mysterious appearance of an unknown device in media (both nemo and terminal) that does not actually exist and never did. And root can't get rid of it.
Much weirdness. The encryption stuff is probably coincidental, but the box has gone whacko.
So going to blow it away and start from scratch.

Return to “Software & Applications”