Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
DAMIEN1307
Level 5
Level 5

(Solved)...Cant't Remove Authentication Key

Post by DAMIEN1307 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:46 pm

hi folks...gotta curious problem here...several months ago i had purged Opera-Stable browser from my system, i also made sure it was removed from the Update Manager by "downgrade foreign packages" and "remove foreign packages" and "additional repositories" etc. etc. etc......the problem i am having is under the heading of "Authentication Keys" in the update manager...i have been repeatedly removing the key marked as "Opera Software Archive Automatic Signing Key 2017 <packafer@opera.com>" "A5C7FF72"...it just keeps re-appearing...since i have no intention of using Opera any more, How do i get rid of this thing for good?...thanks...DAMIEN
Last edited by DAMIEN1307 on Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.

thx-1138
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Cant't Remove Authentication Key

Post by thx-1138 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:07 pm

...i assume with:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-key del A5C7FF72
If further complications ensue, then: https://askubuntu.com/a/977904

DAMIEN1307
Level 5
Level 5

Post by DAMIEN1307 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:45 pm

hi thx-1138...i have indeed done as you suggested and the response from the terminal was "ok"...rechecked to see if it was gone and it was...now all i have to do is wait a day or two to see if it is truly gone for good since it has usually just re-appeared after a couple of days...lol...if it is truly gone after 2 days then i can resonably assume that this post will be solved...thank you very much and if ya see this marked solved in a couple of days, then you have "dun" good...lol...DAMIEN

DAMIEN1307
Level 5
Level 5

Post by DAMIEN1307 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:34 pm

still not solved...sigh...the opera key has come back to haunt me yet again...any more ideas? thanks in advance...DAMIEN

MrEen
Level 5
Level 5

Re: (Still Not Solved)...Cant't Remove Authentication Key

Post by MrEen » Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:59 pm

Did you follow the advice from the website thx-1138 posted?

DAMIEN1307
Level 5
Level 5

Post by DAMIEN1307 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:57 pm

yes, i have already covered those bases that thx-1158 referred to from ubuntu...evidently whatever is holding on to that key is elsewhere in the LM 18.3 mint cinn. installation.../etc/apt/trusted.gpg.d...was totally empty folder, even though the opera key was still appearing yet again in the authentication keys section of the update manager

MrEen
Level 5
Level 5

Post by MrEen » Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:24 am

First off, I'm probably in over my head here, but I'll offer what I can.

The key is probably in /etc/apt/sources.list.d (you can verify with apt-key list in the terminal.

Just to be safe, take a look at inxi -r and make sure nothing opera related is there.

The only thing I could suggest is have you tried a reboot after deleting the key?

Good luck!

DAMIEN1307
Level 5
Level 5

Post by DAMIEN1307 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:40 am

hi MrEen...been there, done that too...lol...and i am also in the habit of rebooting even creating a launcher just for that purpose on the panel... shutdown -Pr now ...thats the command line to create one for yourself if you wish...the "r" is for reboot...if you use an "h" in place of the "r" it will just be a shutdown...DAMIEN

MrEen
Level 5
Level 5

Post by MrEen » Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:58 am

Sorry. I'm out of ideas.

Unless you want to try a complete re-install! :D

Good luck, again!

thx-1138
Level 5
Level 5

Post by thx-1138 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:43 am

DAMIEN1307 wrote:still not solved...sigh...the opera key has come back to haunt me yet again...
...since neither mine neither MrEen's suggestions seemed to work, i thought of maybe giving it a manual look today, Sunday as it is...
Try looking under /etc/cron.daily/, and if you find a file 'opera-browser' there, remove it...
If such the case, after removing the cron script, run again sudo apt-key del A5C7FF72...

DAMIEN1307
Level 5
Level 5

Post by DAMIEN1307 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:49 pm

hi thx-1138...i actually did also look already for the cron.daily...opera-browser, opera-stable, etc. was not found...since i do not trust any chinese software corporation...(now the proud owners of opera browser) and since this key apparently still exists even after purging all vestiges of this browser and apparently is quite well hidden deep in the system...i have DBANed the entire OS and have elected to install peppermint linux as my main driver at this time...i still have mint on my backup computer but have never installed opera on it...i think now that this "hidden key" situation could/should serve as a possible "cautionary tale"...i can usually find any last leftovers from uninstalled/purged software but not this particular one...many thanks for the responses here...i will be much more careful in future of what software i install in the now to be LM Mint Cinn. backup system computer and will be using peppermint as my main daily driver...this is in no way to be construed as a criticism of LM MINT in any way whatsoever...i just find that with peppermints minimalist viewpoint as an OS and the fact that i can contact their CEO personally to be an advantage when trying to find nigging minor problems like this...will always at this time still be a Mint user though...just on my backup...i will mark this post as solved...DAMIEN

Return to “Software & Applications”