Wine 3 released, including Direct3D 11 support :-)

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ArtGirl

Wine 3 released, including Direct3D 11 support :-)

Post by ArtGirl »

Exciting news :D

"This release represents a year of development effort and over 6,000 individual changes. It contains a large number of improvements that are listed in the release notes. The main highlights are:

Direct3D 10 and 11 support.
The Direct3D command stream.
The Android graphics driver.
Improved DirectWrite and Direct2D support.

Once again, because of the annual release schedule, a number of features that are being worked on have been deferred to the next development cycle. This includes in particular Direct3D 12 and Vulkan support, as well as OpenGL ES support to enable Direct3D on Android."

https://www.winehq.org/announce/3.0

Playonlinux, Tools, Manage Wine versions.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Dave B
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Wine 3 released, including Direct3D 11 support :-)

Post by Dave B »

Prior to the Wine 3 announcement, been testing the dev version 3.0r6 for several days, still a few niggles with dx11, but great to see advancements being made, and future potential of dx12 inclusion. :-)

PS: Based on your signature, is there a reason for not upgrading to 18.3?
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

it's certainly Great News.
8)

but, it's also got me intrigued, as just how long ago that V2.0 was released.
https://www.winehq.org/news/2017012401/
about One Year Ago, it seems.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

i actually downgraded from wine-3Rc to wine-2.22 in my arch linux there may be improvements but also some games now don't work with wine-3rc. the issue is where you can't have fully integrated .NET Framework in a 64bit wine prefix since windows is still mainly a hybrid 32-64bit. don't be in a hurry to try wine3
Appoloin
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Appoloin »

trytip wrote:i actually downgraded from wine-3Rc to wine-2.22 in my arch linux there may be improvements but also some games now don't work with wine-3rc. the issue is where you can't have fully integrated .NET Framework in a 64bit wine prefix since windows is still mainly a hybrid 32-64bit. don't be in a hurry to try wine3
This is where PlayOnLinux bottles come in handy
ArtGirl

Post by ArtGirl »

Dave B wrote:Prior to the Wine 3 announcement, been testing the dev version 3.0r6 for several days, still a few niggles with dx11, but great to see advancements being made, and future potential of dx12 inclusion. :-)

PS: Based on your signature, is there a reason for not upgrading to 18.3?
Yes, they've covered a lot of ground so far, and dx11+ games running better is very exciting. :)
And, yes, I had some issues with 18.3; have tried twice, but desktop icons etc get splattered everywhere, lol, when I play an older 32-bit game via POL/ia32lib, and, more critically, the password that bridged into encrypted home was forcibly changed when I logged into wifi, and unfortunately stopped programs running, needing a format. I have run it with unencrypted home, but having to rearrange all the desktop after some games, unpredictably, sent me back to 18.1 ... I like that mdm and 32-bit are inbuilt, and I can encrypt home without concern, and I prefer appimages/debs anyway.
ArtGirl

Post by ArtGirl »

Pierre wrote:it's certainly Great News.
8)

but, it's also got me intrigued, as just how long ago that V2.0 was released.
https://www.winehq.org/news/2017012401/
about One Year Ago, it seems.
Yes, I hadn't registered that myself until the v3 announcement. They work incredibly hard.
ArtGirl

Post by ArtGirl »

trytip wrote:i actually downgraded from wine-3Rc to wine-2.22 in my arch linux there may be improvements but also some games now don't work with wine-3rc. the issue is where you can't have fully integrated .NET Framework in a 64bit wine prefix since windows is still mainly a hybrid 32-64bit. don't be in a hurry to try wine3
2.22 runs well, yes. Good advice, and hopefully the later additions to Wine that they said weren't ready for this release will help with that.
ArtGirl

Post by ArtGirl »

Appoloin wrote:
This is where PlayOnLinux bottles come in handy
Good to know. POL certainly makes things so much easier.
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

ArtGirl wrote:https://www.winehq.org/announce/3.0
Playonlinux, Tools, Manage Wine versions.
Did you actually install (non-rc) wine 3.0 that way?

I re-activated their repo

Code: Select all

sudo apt-add-repository 'deb https://dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/ubuntu/ xenial main'
updated, and

Code: Select all

wine-stable = 2.04, 
wine-devel = 3.0~rc6~xenial
There are no non-rc wine v3.x packages listed.

Edit: IOW, it's the same as it was a couple of weeks ago...
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
ArtGirl

Post by ArtGirl »

Flemur wrote:
There are no non-rc wine v3.x packages listed.

Edit: IOW, it's the same as it was a couple of weeks ago...
Sorry, I should have been clearer ... I add in bits that might be useful to newcomers, + full of flu ... should have said that it'll show up there. The Wine release says: "The source is available now. Binary packages are in the process of being built, and will appear soon at their respective download locations", so hopefully available soon. There is a 3.0 showing in POL, but it's listed before all the rc versions ... I just use POL simply, tbh, and not sure if that version's a previous or the new version.
Dave B
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Dave B »

ArtGirl wrote:
Dave B wrote:...PS: Based on your signature, is there a reason for not upgrading to 18.3?
Yes, they've covered a lot of ground so far, and dx11+ games running better is very exciting. :)
And, yes, I had some issues with 18.3; have tried twice, but desktop icons etc get splattered everywhere, lol, when I play an older 32-bit game via POL/ia32lib, and, more critically, the password that bridged into encrypted home was forcibly changed when I logged into wifi, and unfortunately stopped programs running, needing a format. I have run it with unencrypted home, but having to rearrange all the desktop after some games, unpredictably, sent me back to 18.1 ... I like that mdm and 32-bit are inbuilt, and I can encrypt home without concern, and I prefer appimages/debs anyway.
Possibly all your 18.3 Desktop icon issues might be solved by enabling Auto-arrange? :)

Hope you're soon back to full health!
ArtGirl

Post by ArtGirl »

Dave B wrote:
ArtGirl wrote:
Dave B wrote:...PS: Based on your signature, is there a reason for not upgrading to 18.3?
Possibly all your 18.3 Desktop icon issues might be solved by enabling Auto-arrange? :)

Hope you're soon back to full health!
Thank you very much. :) And appreciate advice; I've just reinstalled everything on 18.1, but will certainly try auto-arrange if I install 18.3 again. I use the desktop as a kind of art desk, with various sizes of images/folders/smallest icons out of the way along one side. Searching online about if icons can be locked, I've found this though: https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1919849 ... different resolution game moves the icons, but can use F5 to refresh. An occasional game on 18.1 nudges one or two icons, so I'll try the F5 and see what happens!
ArtGirl

Post by ArtGirl »

V3 is showing on the download page now: https://www.winehq.org/download :)
Dave B
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Dave B »

Yesterday eve tried all three branches, devel, staging, and stable, no (final release) version 3.0 just yet.

It would be nice if WineHQ did as some other open source software do, build & host the files, then make a release announcement. So saying, the best things are worth waiting for. :)
ArtGirl

Post by ArtGirl »

Dave B wrote:Yesterday eve tried all three branches, devel, staging, and stable, no (final release) version 3.0 just yet.

It would be nice if WineHQ did as some other open source software do, build & host the files, then make a release announcement. So saying, the best things are worth waiting for. :)
I agree. Surprising way of doing things, but, yes, worth waiting for. :)
Dave B
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Dave B »

Well (hope you are ArtGirl), wasn't long to wait (so far, only the stable branch has the final 3.0 version). :D

In other related news...
- DirectX11 on Vulkan
https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page= ... g-With-VLK
ArtGirl

Post by ArtGirl »

Dave B wrote:Well (hope you are ArtGirl), wasn't long to wait (so far, only the stable branch has the final 3.0 version). :D

In other related news...
- DirectX11 on Vulkan
https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page= ... g-With-VLK
Great news, and thank you very much for good wishes. Thanks for the link too; exciting developments. :)
Dave B
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Dave B »

Wine 3.1 (development branch) has been released, 29 bugs fixed, plus other improvements. :)
https://www.winehq.org/announce/3.1

Note: Not yet available for download

@ArtGirl, how are you now, hope well on the way to full recovery?
ArtGirl

Post by ArtGirl »

Dave B wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:55 am Wine 3.1 (development branch) has been released, 29 bugs fixed, plus other improvements. :)
https://www.winehq.org/announce/3.1

Note: Not yet available for download

@ArtGirl, how are you now, hope well on the way to full recovery?
Hi Dave B and sorry for finding this so late; very kind of you to enquire. Not good health overall tbh; on morphine patches now, which is a great relief, but no flu anymore is also a bonus! I've seen a big jump in how well games run with the now released 3.2; hope you're seeing the same and enjoying your games. :D

Return to “Software & Applications”