(Solved) Signal Messenger

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
felemur
Level 5
Level 5
Location: In the middle of 1000's of acres of corn & soy fields in a house full of cats.

(Solved) Signal Messenger

Post by felemur »

I added Signal from the Software Manager - it's a flatpak. It installed fine.

When I click on it to open, nothing happens. Read up some documentation on Signal, and there was the suggestion to confirm I have APT. I checked, and do.

I read a suggestion on the Ubuntu forum to "unset /tmp as noexec". So, I tried this

Code: Select all

david@david-OptiPlex-7010 ~ $ sudo mount -o remount,noexec /tmp
[sudo] password for david: 
mount: /tmp not mounted or bad option

In some cases useful info is found in syslog - try
       dmesg | tail or so.
david@david-OptiPlex-7010 ~ $ 
I'm stumped.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
orschiro
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Signal Messenger

Post by orschiro »

What's the output of:

$ flatpak list
felemur
Level 5
Level 5
Location: In the middle of 1000's of acres of corn & soy fields in a house full of cats.

Re: Signal Messenger

Post by felemur »

OK, so to update.

I ended up using the software manager to remove Signal since it didn't launch, and tried using the code from Signal's home page to install via the terminal. It too did not work.

As a person who came from Windows, I decided to try the Restart method when something doesn't work. Normally, this computer is never restarted unless there is a kernel update - it runs 24/7.

After restarting, I tried again to install Signal from the software manager and it installed and worked upon launch. :?

Absolutely no idea what happened. Too busy to care at this point, I'm just happy it now does work. I always thought restarting was not the same in Linux as Windows, but shows how little I really know.

To answer your question orschiro (thank you for trying to help), here is the output:

david@david-OptiPlex-7010 ~ $ flatpak list
Ref                                 Options       
org.signal.Signal/x86_64/stable     system,current
org.freedesktop.Platform/x86_64/1.6 system,runtime

Return to “Software & Applications”