trying to back up personal folders to usb drive {SOLVED]

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Willster

trying to back up personal folders to usb drive {SOLVED]

Post by Willster »

Using back-in-time and get this message:

Couldn't find UUID for "/media/neil/A_V Backup/backintime/Frankenstein-X58A-UD7/neil/1"

...could somebody help?

will
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Minterator

Re: trying to back up personal folders to usb drive

Post by Minterator »

Could be that the backup drive is not mounted or not mounted where you think it is. Find out with this command sudo lsblk

Command to backup your user folders should be something like rsync -a --delete /home/$USER /media/$USER/backup

Use double quotes if the path contains spaces, "/home/$USER" "/media/$USER/backup 1"
Willster

Post by Willster »

thank you...the drive seems to be mounted according to sudo lsblk...back-in-time won't accept my configuration...just tried again and it did! YAY! I'm so bloody ignorant of this that I don't know what i did/did not do, to make it work...but thank you kindly for the support, it's another little step on my journey...for what it's worth, I'm enjoying it, and I like this distro very much (guess that means it was time for me to transition!)
will
Minterator

Post by Minterator »

Willster wrote:thank you...the drive seems to be mounted according to sudo lsblk...back-in-time won't accept my configuration...just tried again and it did! YAY! I'm so bloody ignorant of this that I don't know what i did/did not do, to make it work...but thank you kindly for the support, it's another little step on my journey...for what it's worth, I'm enjoying it, and I like this distro very much (guess that means it was time for me to transition!)
will
Welcome to Linux. I've never used back-in-time but the above command should work for any user. I'd try it in terminal and if everything works you can create a menu item with it or a luncher on your desktop. The first time you run it, it copies everything and after that it only copies new/modified files, so it may only take a few seconds. You can mount the disk by double-clicking it in file manager, or set it to mount automatically every time you start the OS.

Return to “Software & Applications”