Pale Moon and Quantum technology

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
orschiro
Level 4
Level 4

Pale Moon and Quantum technology

Post by orschiro »

Does Palemoon use the Quantum technology?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Re: new tabs on firefox

Post by Moem »

orschiro wrote:Does Palemoon use the Quantum technology?
What exactly do you mean by that?

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
orschiro
Level 4
Level 4

Re: new tabs on firefox

Post by orschiro »

What exactly do you mean by that?
Firefox uses a new technology called Quantum since version 57. I was curious to know whether Palemoon uses it as well.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Re: Pale Moon and Quantum technology

Post by Moem »

I've split this off so we can continue without cluttering up the original topic.

I know that the new Firefox is called 'Quantum' but I don't know what 'Quantum technology' means... let me try and look that up.
... no, I can't find anything. Which specific technology in the new Firefox do you mean?

The answer is most likely 'no', anyway. Pale Moon split off from Firefox before Australis happened.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Pippin
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Pippin »

Wasn`t that hard to find :wink:
https://wiki.mozilla.org/Quantum

So I would think, if Pale Moon is based on Firefox Quantum version, then yes.
I gloomily came to the ironic conclusion that if you take a highly intelligent person and give them the best possible, elite education, then you will most likely wind up with an academic who is completely impervious to reality.
Halton Arp
Schultz
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Schultz »

Pale Moon does not use Quantum. As they say on the Pale Moon forums: "Pale Moon is NOT Firefox and never will be again!" And Pale Moon uses its own engine anyway, Goanna. Pale Moon is a true fork of FF, not a clone.
Last edited by Schultz on Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
thx-1138
Level 8
Level 8

Post by thx-1138 »

...Mozilla is working since quite sometime on Servo, which in turn is written in the nowadays all-the-rage Rust.Ie. that's the future to speak off.
Quantum was used as a codename for current FF 57, and in a certain sense, implements partially some of those features & ideas. Look here for example. At least that's how i've understood it so far.

Now what will eventually get completed / implemented or not, and what will remain a distant dream / marketing fad or not, who knows...
From the above however, it's relatively easy to make some wild guesses on the potential / future of current alternatives like Palemoon etc i think...unless they make drastic changes as well...
Schultz
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Schultz »

This whole thing with Quantum was the spur for the Pale Moon developer(s) to create Basilisk, which is used as the vehicle to develop a fork of the platform code pre-Quantum. The link below explains it better than I can:

https://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.ph ... 5&p=112135

Return to “Software & Applications”