Calibre and DRM busting

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
bosshogg
Level 2
Level 2

Calibre and DRM busting

Post by bosshogg »

Hi does anyone know of a "apprenticeharper/DeDRM_tools" for Mint 18.1? A number of the books I have on my laptop can't be read on my e book reader due to DRM protection. My Kindle, which is an old one, is acting up and I need an alternative means to read...thank's in anticipation.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Calibre and DRM busting

Post by catweazel »

I'm not 100% sure but I'm fairly confident that the mods might jump on that as discussions about cracking of any kind is prohibited on these forums. If your books are kindle books, you should be able to read them using, for example, the kindle chrome app. That's how I read my kindle books... in a browser using the kindle app for chrome.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Calibre and DRM busting

Post by phd21 »

Hi "bosshogg",

I just read your post and the good replies to it. Here are my thoughts on this as well.

It would help to know more about your system setup. If you run "inxi -Fxzd" from the console terminal prompt, highlight the results, copy and paste them back here, that should provide enough information.

If these are free ebooks, or ebooks that you paid for, there is nothing wrong with using a DRM add-on to view them.

"Calibre" is an excellent ebook application that can be enhanced in many ways including adding various DRM plugins. There are already good posts in this forum on doing this just search for "Calibre". There are a few different DRM options including the good one you mentioned.

If you download the archive file from the link below and right-click it select extract here, there are various readme files to look at like "/home/user69/Downloads/DeDRM_tools-master/DeDRM_plugin_ReadMe.txt".

apprenticeharper/DeDRM_tools: DeDRM tools for ebooks
"Just install the DeDRM plugin from the DeDRM_calibre_plugin folder, following the instructions and configuration directions provided in the ReadMe file and the help links in the plugin's configuration dialogs."
https://github.com/apprenticeharper/DeDRM_tools
DeDRM_plugin_ReadMe.txt wrote:Installation
------------
Open calibre's Preferences dialog. Click on the "Plugins" button. Next, click on the button, "Load plugin from file". Navigate to the unzipped DeDRM_tools folder and, in the folder "DeDRM_calibre_plugin", find the file "DeDRM_plugin.zip". Click to select the file and select "Open". Click "Yes" in the "Are you sure?" dialog box. Click Apply. Click the "OK" button in the "Success" dialog box.
Restart Calibre after adding new plugins

Coolreader Ebook Reader User-defined Settings and Linux Mint - Linux Mint Forums
- has very good links on Calibre and installing DRM options...
viewtopic.php?f=47&t=215247&hilit=Calibre+drm

<Solved> Calibre Help Is No Help; I Give Up - Linux Mint Forums
viewtopic.php?f=47&t=243388&hilit=Calibre

Hope this helps ...
Calibre_DRM1.jpg
Animated Gif of adding this DRM Plugin to Calibre... Click image to view larger size, click the image again to make it larger or smaller.
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen

Return to “Software & Applications”