How to block a domain with umatrix ?? [SOLVED]

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

How to block a domain with umatrix ?? [SOLVED]

Post by Flemur »

Edit: Answer:
Enter

Code: Select all

* hostname * block
in "My rules" tab, right side.
Entering "downloadhelper" doesn't block "downloadhelper.net", so, AFAIK, no wild-cards like "*.downloadhelper.*"
"hostname" = hostname.com, hostname.net ... dunno about leading www vs ww2 prefixes.
/Edit

The umatrix "dashboard" has a "Hosts files" tab with an empty textbox labeled

"One URL per line. Lines prefixed with ‘#’ will be ignored. Invalid URLs will be silently ignored."  
I enter a valid URL ... and then what?

Sometimes the "Update now" button is not greyed-out; if I hit it, it seems to update the lists, and it erases the URL(s) I've entered and the site is not blocked.

?? TIA!
umatrix.jpg
Trying to block " http://www.downloadhelper.net" because they don't provide an option to not check for updates.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 4 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Re: How to block a domain with umatrix ??

Post by Flemur »

A hack solution: block the "1st party" components.
If anyone knows how to operate the "Hosts files" tab, I'm still up for a better answer!
umatrix2.jpg
chrisuk

Re: How to block a domain with umatrix ?? [SOLVED by hack]

Post by chrisuk »

I think you've misunderstood the purpose of that tab - it's for hosts files not addresses. So you'd enter say: file://home/user/my-hosts-file.txt... at least that's what I thought it was for.

There's a great (and very long and detailed) tutorial on uMatrix... I'll post a link if I can find it again later
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

chrisuk wrote:I think you've misunderstood the purpose of that tab - it's for hosts files not addresses.
So you'd enter say: file://home/user/my-hosts-file.txt... at least that's what I thought it was for.
If so, they mislabelled it: "One URL per line." Not "one hosts file name per line". (And a nice "file not found" error message. Not!)

I looked up one one of the hosts files, (sort-of - it's some goofy "moz-extension", not a real file like it should be):
moz-extension://21a53e88-6776-4f8f-b8cf-1cab92122dfe/asset-viewer.html?url=dpollock-0
It's as primitive as adding values to /etc/hosts, namely no wild cards: it has all these entries:

127.0.0.1 2girls1cup.cc 
127.0.0.1 2girls1cup.com 
127.0.0.1 2girls1cup.nl 
127.0.0.1 2girls1cup.ws
127.0.0.1 www.2girls1cup.cc 
127.0.0.1 www.2girls1cup.nl 
127.0.0.1 www.2girls1cup.ws
(they missed "www.2girls1cup.com"; the lack of wild-cards makes this method unreliable) instead of just

.2girls1cup.
like privoxy would use, which I'm very tempted to go back to!
gribevo
Level 1
Level 1

Post by gribevo »

Flemur wrote:If so, they mislabelled it: "One URL per line." Not "one hosts file name per line". (And a nice "file not found" error message. Not!)
Nothing is "mislabelled", you are just misunderstanding what "URL" means:
A Uniform Resource Locator (URL) [...] is a reference to a web resource that specifies its location on a computer network and a mechanism for retrieving it.
The web resource in the current case is the hosts file.

What you entered as described in your opening comment ("www.downloadhelper.net") is not a URL, it's a hostname, the one you want to block.
the lack of wild-cards makes this method unreliable
Again, you are failing to read the doc. You want to create a rule, and for this you go to "My rules", and enter:

* downloadhelper.net * block
There is no need for wildcards, subdomains always inherit the rule of broader domains.

The rule created is temporary, commit if you want it to be permanent.
Last edited by gribevo on Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

gribevo wrote:
Flemur wrote:If so, they mislabelled it: "One URL per line." Not "one hosts file name per line". (And a nice "file not found" error message. Not!)
Nothing is "mislabelled", you are just misunderstanding what "URL" means:
A Uniform Resource Locator (URL) [...] is a reference to a web resource that specifies its location on a computer network and a mechanism for retrieving it.
The web resource in the current case is the hosts file.
Then it should say it's the URL of a hosts file. And besides not being labeled correctly it should have an error message when there's an error.
What you entered as described in your opening comment ("www.downloadhelper.net") is not a URL, it's a hostname, the one you want to block.
Well, yes, "downloadhelper.net" is a URL - even according to the page you got your definition from.
the lack of wild-cards makes this method unreliable
Again, you are failing to read the doc. You want to create a rule, and for this you go to "My rules", and enter:
I said the lack of wild-cards make the hosts file method unreliable. And it does. The hosts files umatrix is using don't use wildcards. Edit: although now I see that it claims to convert the hosts files into it's own rules.

* downloadhelper.net * block
There is no need for wildcards, subdomains always inherit the rule of broader domains.
The rule created is temporary, commit if you want it to be permanent.
Thanks! It worked. That's the method I was looking for.

And thanks for the link to the guy's documentation; the addon's mozilla site
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/umatrix/
has links to to "Homepage" and "Support", but they don't point to any useful documentation.

Return to “Software & Applications”