Starry Night Pro 7

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Stargazer

Starry Night Pro 7

Post by Stargazer »

Hello all!

I am rather new to the Linux community (I've run Linux Mint for about two years now as my only OS). I have greatly appreciated the forums and used many of them. However, I am trying to install Starry Night Pro 7 on my laptop, using WINE, and it is not working. The *.exe file was executed but all I get is "There is no Windows program configured to open this file." or "Path not found." So I need help.

My laptop is a Lenovo Legion Y520 with a 256 GB SSD and a 2 TB HDD. It has 16 GB RAM, and I am running Mint Cinnamon 18.3 Sylvia. If you need more information than that, please let me know.

Thanks!
:D
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Starry Night Pro 7

Post by catweazel »

https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager. ... ngId=25371

It seems people stopped bothering with that application and wine some ten years ago. You might want to take a look at Stellarium instead.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi "Stargazer",

I just read your post and the good replies to it. Here are my thoughts on this as well.

+1 for using the excellent "Stellarium".

Here is another post with good information on how to install current versions of "Stellarium" and or "Kstars"... Celestia is another interesting application...

Stellarium crashes on boot [Solved] - Linux Mint Forums
viewtopic.php?f=47&t=257456&hilit=kstars

A giant leap into the Linux planet... - Linux Mint Forums
viewtopic.php?f=180&t=251970&hilit=celestia

New open project "Ubuntu Astronomy"
https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/5431 ... astronomy/

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
Stargazer

Post by Stargazer »

Hello everyone,

My thanks to "catweazel" & "phd21" for your help! I am sorry for the late reply, but I have been unable to check my posts for the past few weeks.

@"catweazel": According to the WINE website, WINE and QuickTime are not necessarily compatible. Has there been any progress to increase the compatibility?

@"phd21": I have been using Stellarium for several years (even before I joined the Linux community), but the others you mentioned are not familiar to me. I am really looking for some way to get Starry Night Pro 7 to work. However, that being said, since it is possible that Starry Night Pro 7 will not work, I am looking for something as close as possible to Starry Night Pro 7. I read (and was impressed with) the list of programs you compiled: Which of those programs in your opinion is the absolute best to track stars and their courses throughout history? Stellarium is pretty good but is not as versatile as Starry Night. Is there something else better than Stellarium?

Thank you again for all of your help! I love Linux Mint and the Linux community!

Stargazer
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi Stargazer,

You are very welcome...

If you are using Linux Mint 18.x, then there are instructions in the links I provided for installing and keeping Stellarium and Kstars updated with newer versions that are not in the Mint repositories. And, there are some other application options in the other links as well.

As to which would be the best for you and or your wants, I cannot answer that. You will have to install them and try them yourself. There are forums for these applications, and there are Astronomy forums and websites as well that anyone can check out. But, let us know what you find out. Do you have an automatic tracking telescope, if so, which make and model?

Keep us posted ...
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi Stargazer,

Did you ever decide on a Linux star gazing alternative and if yes, which one(s) do you prefer?

FYI: For Linux Mint 19.x users to install and use Celestia (this may work for Linux Mint 18.x users as well)

To install Celestia in Linux Mint 19.x based on Ubuntu 18.04, open a terminal and copy and paste the command below:

Code: Select all

wget https://raw.githubusercontent.com/simbd/Scripts_Ubuntu/master/Celestia_pour_Bionic.sh && chmod +x Celestia* && sudo ./Celestia*
Celestia will then be available in your menu or you can launch it from the terminal with:

Code: Select all

celestia
There is also the "OpenUniverse Space Simulator" and other Astronomy like applications available now as well.
OpenUniverse: A Free Space Simulator
http://openuniverse.sourceforge.net/

8 of the Best Free Linux Astronomy Apps - LinuxLinks
https://www.linuxlinks.com/astronomy/

Siril - FreeAstro
Siril is meant to be Iris for Linux (sirI-L). It is an astronomical image processing tool, able to convert, pre-process images, help aligning them automatically or manually, stack them and enhance final images. In 2017, is also began to work on Mac OS X and Windows.
http://free-astro.org/index.php/Siril

Return to “Software & Applications”