Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
OlivierM
Level 2
Level 2

Is it possible to remove systemd ?

Post by OlivierM »

Hi,
Is it possible to remove systemd's autism or should I stop using Mint after 17.3 goes unsupported ?

And before "systemd is well maintained, proprely designed software": no thanks, i want control over my system. Otherwise I'd be using windows.
XFCE Mint 17.3 & 18.1. Various laptops and desktops.
Pierre
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Is it possible to remove systemd ?

Post by Pierre »

this issue about systemd is grossly overrated, and it shouldn't impact on the way you use any Linux System.
- systemd is a system and session manager for Linux . .

an similar issue arose when Grub2 replaced GrubLegacy,
and now Grub2 is widely accepted.

and as such, systemd will most likely be found in the release of the LM19x
- you don't need to find an 'systemd' free alternative.
LinuxMint will work, just fine, & the same way that it always has done.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
Mute Ant
Level 14
Level 14

Post by Mute Ant »

"Is it possible to remove systemd" Yes. There's a lot of cleaning-up afterwards though. In Peppermint8 it leaves you with no internet, no file-manager, no audio and no installer. Here's what happens...
sudo apt-get purge systemd -----> The following packages will be REMOVED: aptdaemon colord gnome-disk-utility gnome-system-tools gnome-time-admin gufw gvfs gvfs-backends gvfs-daemons gvfs-fuse hplip language-selector-gnome libpam-systemd mate-panel mate-polkit mintstick nemo nemo-dropbox nemo-fileroller network-manager network-manager-gnome nvidia-settings oem-config oem-config-gtk packagekit peppermint-default-session peppermint-default-settings peppermint-live-settings policykit-1 policykit-1-gnome printer-driver-postscript-hp pulseaudio pulseaudio-module-bluetooth pulseaudio-module-x11 rfkill screen-resolution-extra systemd systemd-sysv ubiquity ubiquity-frontend-gtk udisks2

Did you mean "Is it possible to replace systemd?"
While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named "manual".
kc1di
Level 16
Level 16

Post by kc1di »

Yes it is possible , but it must be replaced in order for your machine to boot. That becomes a problem, more so if your using Cinnamon Desktop since it is closely tied to Gnome which is closely tied to systemd. It can be done but it's a lot of work. You would be better off using a distro that is non systemd to begin with.
here is a list: https://sysdfree.wordpress.com/2017/09/21/135/ and this one: https://www.reddit.com/r/linux/comments ... or_can_be/
As someone said I not sure it's worth it really the controversy is way over rated. Out of those list I've tried a few of them Deuvan and PCLinuxOS where my choices. But Mint with systemd is still my first choice.
but to each his/her own :)
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608
Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Cosmo. »

OlivierM wrote:And before "systemd is well maintained, proprely designed software": no thanks, i want control over my system. Otherwise I'd be using windows.
And you think, that gives you control? If so, use it.

In theory there is by default in the advanced grub menu the option to boot the system with upstart instead. In practice this does either not work at all or with trouble only.
So in short the answer to the question in the topic title is No.

What you do is your decision.
Artim
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Artim »

So many applications are dependent on systemd now! AntiX has systemd but doesn't use it. Slackware (and my favorite derivative of it, Salix) doesn't use it. PCLinuxOS is also systemd-free. It's far better, if you're freaked out by all the hype about systemd, to use a systemd-free distro instead of anything Debian/Ubuntu-based, Arch-based, or RedHat-based.
Flemur
Level 19
Level 19

Post by Flemur »

OlivierM wrote:Hi,
Is it possible to remove systemd's autism or should I stop using Mint after 17.3 goes unsupported ?
Yup. I don't consider it autistic, though, it's one of the better products of "freedesktop.org" who mostly crank out buggy, overly complicated, windows-like horrors.
https://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/

Check into "devuan", below - I looked into removing as much of the "freedesktop" nonsense as possible - it's doable but not trivial:

"Devuan without D-Bus"
https://devuan.org/os/documentation/dev ... thout-dbus

"Xfce4 without dbus and policykit?"
https://forums.freebsd.org/threads/54674/
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
lmuserx4849

Post by lmuserx4849 »

Distrowatch has a special search for "not systemd".

Linux Mint appears at the top. If I select Linux Mint and look at 18.3 sylvia column and the init row, it shows systemd, SysV.
Why does it say sysV, that's a typo no?

Rather than attempt to remove, I'd look for a distro that starts out not using it. It doesn't cleanup very nicely, plus you'll be fighting system updates. But, me thinks, linux is going to go where the big guys take it, and distro's typically add to, not take away. If I had a million dollars, I'd donate it to Devuan for keeping the linux spirit alive.

I'd try linux mint 18.3 first.
anticapitalista
Level 2
Level 2

Post by anticapitalista »

Artim wrote:AntiX has systemd but doesn't use it.
This is false. antiX does not have systemd at all.
trytip
Level 13
Level 13

Post by trytip »

if you have to ask, most likely you shouldn't do it then search that google for linux distros without systemd
Artim
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Artim »

anticapitalista wrote:
Artim wrote:AntiX has systemd but doesn't use it.
This is false. antiX does not have systemd at all.
Thank you for the correction! Perhaps I was thinking of MX?

Return to “Software & Applications”