Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Statik
Level 2
Level 2

Putty and Line Drawing

Post by Statik »

Hi all,
I know that this topic has been kicked around on the net for many a year, but I have not been able to find a solution that works. I am currently in Linux Mint 18.3, trying to get basic extended characters in Putty to display. I am sending them to Putty from an Atmel 328 over the USB/UART. I can use ANSI control characters for moving the cursor around the screen, but I have yet to be able to display any extended characters. Can anyone lend a hand with either the setting changes I need, or the character data I need to send, to get the extended characters to show up?
Thanks!
Statik
deepakdeshp
Level 18
Level 18

Re: Putty and Line Drawing

Post by deepakdeshp »

If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help, and keeps the forum clean.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 20.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A8/7410 / 8GB
Mint 20.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb
Statik
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Statik »

Perhaps I haven't communicated the problem properly. I don't have a problem with displaying advanced characters in most programs that are entered via the keyboard, or by insert-special_character. The problem I am having is specific to Putty and how it displays ansi characters, or non-standard ascii characters, characters that have ascii codes >127. These are not standard characters and are often used by terminal programs to display boxes around menus and the like. I am sending these characters from an microcontroller over a serial/usb connection for display within Putty, but they all end up as boxes. I have tried changing the Putty settings, the display font, every suggestion from the internet, but to no avail. I am wondering if there is another solution that I have missed that is relevant to 2018.
Thanks!
Statik
deepakdeshp
Level 18
Level 18

Post by deepakdeshp »

You have to use same terminal emulation in putty as is used in terminal which is opened in Mint.
https://the.earth.li/~sgtatham/putty/0. ... pter4.html
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help, and keeps the forum clean.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 20.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A8/7410 / 8GB
Mint 20.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb
Statik
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Statik »

deepakdeshp wrote:You have to use same terminal emulation in putty as is used in terminal which is opened in Mint.
https://the.earth.li/~sgtatham/putty/0. ... pter4.html
Thanks for this. I wasn't able to find a manual for Putty. I'll get back to you on if I find a solution in it.

Statik

Return to “Software & Applications”