Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
LamphunLumyai
Level 3
Level 3

Firefox 58.0.1 update (Solved)

Post by LamphunLumyai » Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:47 am

I haven't seen the latest Firefox update 58.0.1 come though the official LM updater yet. It's been about 5 days since I saw the CERT Advisory. Any idea when this will show in the official channels?
Last edited by LamphunLumyai on Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pierre
Level 16
Level 16

Re: Firefox 58.0.1 update

Post by Pierre » Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:47 am

well - - I've received version 58 of Firefox, last week !.

what you could do, is to redo the Mirrors, and set them to the Fastest Mirror,
for your area:
- L/click on Update Manager - Edit - Software Sources:
the click on Both of those Mirrors, that are in the Official Repositories Tab.

do select the Fastest Mirror, for both Main & Base.
- then click on Update Cache, in the Top Right Corner.
then wait a few minutes, for the Update Manager, to do it's thing,,
and see what new updates, are now available.
:)
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.

thx-1138
Level 5
Level 5

Post by thx-1138 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 3:30 am

LamphunLumyai, you can use this method to get FF 58.0.1. Or also just manually grub it from Launchpad...

Flemur
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Flemur » Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:43 am

LamphunLumyai wrote:I haven't seen the latest Firefox update 58.0.1 come though the official LM updater yet. It's been about 5 days since I saw the CERT Advisory. Any idea when this will show in the official channels?
Mint 18.3 latest listed version is
58.0+linuxmint2+sylvia
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
Mint 18.3 Xfce/fluxbox/pulse-less
Xubuntu 17.10/fluxbox/pulse-less

enigmabrad
Level 1
Level 1

Post by enigmabrad » Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:04 pm

I have to say, this really bothers me and I've been a linuxmint user for a LONG time. The reason that Mint packages their own version of Firefox is to get the ad revenue from searches. If they are going to do that then they also need to stay on top of security updates like this as this one is really serious. 6 days is too long to wait for that IMHO.

I'm going to give them 1 more day and if it's not there I'm just going to switch over to the Ubuntu repo for that update. :(

Moem
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Moem » Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:06 pm

enigmabrad wrote:I'm going to give them 1 more day and if it's not there I'm just going to switch over to the Ubuntu repo for that update. :(
You're in luck: it's here.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

LamphunLumyai
Level 3
Level 3

Post by LamphunLumyai » Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:16 pm

enigmabrad wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:04 pm
I have to say, this really bothers me and I've been a linuxmint user for a LONG time. The reason that Mint packages their own version of Firefox is to get the ad revenue from searches. If they are going to do that then they also need to stay on top of security updates like this as this one is really serious. 6 days is too long to wait for that IMHO.

I'm going to give them 1 more day and if it's not there I'm just going to switch over to the Ubuntu repo for that update. :(
If true that simply sucks. It seems as though greed runs this world and trumps all else. I've got the update installed, but having to wait 1 week after the CERT Advisory is simply waiting too long. 9+ times out of 10 I prefer the Linux update model, but in this case, I prefer the MS Windows approach where I can simply update the application from within the application. It is what it is.

enigmabrad
Level 1
Level 1

Post by enigmabrad » Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:29 pm

Moem wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:06 pm
enigmabrad wrote:I'm going to give them 1 more day and if it's not there I'm just going to switch over to the Ubuntu repo for that update. :(
You're in luck: it's here.
Yep I have it! Didn't really want to switch over to the Ubuntu repo for it. :)

LamphunLumyai wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:16 pm
If true that simply sucks. It seems as though greed runs this world and trumps all else. I've got the update installed, but having to wait 1 week after the CERT Advisory is simply waiting too long. 9+ times out of 10 I prefer the Linux update model, but in this case, I prefer the MS Windows approach where I can simply update the application from within the application. It is what it is.
I can actually understand why they do that. It's one of the few ways they have to fund the project. Of course, I may be missing a few details but I think the only thing that Mint actually changes in their version is the default search engine ( for the revenue ) and a few other minor details. So I wouldn't think it would take 1 week to get a minor version update.

Glad we have it now though. :)

Return to “Software & Applications”