gopro

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
morganandre

gopro

Post by morganandre »

Hi I am new to Linux and not very computer savvy. I have a GOPRO Hero 4, and I can't seem to get the videos off the GOPRO. It brings me to the PIX Software to take off pictures from the camera, but I do not have any pictures just videos, and when I click the video tab there is nothing that shows up. What software or application do I need to have to make this work.

Thank you
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
prestonR

Re: gopro

Post by prestonR »

The big one is Kdenlive, a more manageable smaller app is Openshot. How and if they handle the import correctly I cannot say since I usually just put the card in a reader and copy the footage to my data drive.

If you download UbuntuStudio 17.04 and burn it to a USB3 drive you can try both (and check out others) and see what you like best. Also check the version numbers; UbuntuStudio has much more recent versions then what's on offer from the Mint repos, in the case of Kdenlive it really matters.

If you plan to get serious, I would rather install UbuntuStudio as a dualboot (if you had no probs installing Mint then that should be done in 20min) then adding an older Kdenlive to your existing Mint. All video software is very complex and needs the whole system to play along nicely; UbuntuStudio does this out-of-the-box and comes with a real-time kernel, Mint is meant for a much wider use.
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

morganandre wrote:What software or application do I need to have to make this work.
With the camera USB connected, have you tried navigating to the camera with your file-browser? It should show up under 'places' or something similar.

Edit: Like this:
https://community.gopro.com/t5/Cameras/ ... td-p/64558
Running on firmware version 5, and hooking up via USB to Linux. - (latest kernels, freshly updated, so not old versions of Linux)
I can copy the files off with no problem, but when I try and "move" the files, an error happens and all files are deleted from the card. So I only get the first file safely... all the others vanish.
So, "copy", don't "move!" (always a good idea anyway)
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

You could try reading this ...

http://bernaerts.dyndns.org/linux/74-ub ... access-bug

... though before trying the suggested fix, make sure you don't already have the newer version. Copy/paste this to the terminal to see:

Code: Select all

apt-cache policy libgphoto2
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken

Return to “Software & Applications”