how to know which mirrors are up to date (Update Manager: please switch to another mirror / not up to date)

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
terano
Level 1
Level 1

how to know which mirrors are up to date (Update Manager: please switch to another mirror / not up to date)

Post by terano » Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:09 am

after updating the system, and after updating the mirrors , Update Manager warns: "please switch to another mirror / ...... is not up to date".

I tried several local (and less local) mirrors. and all give the same message. I don't want to try out all of them.

How can I know if a mirror is up to date?
It would be easy if Update Manager in the Software Sources Mirror List shows with a sign or a colour which mirrors are up to date and which are not.
Screenshot-2018-02-06.png
Update Manager "please switch to another mirror / .... is not up to date"

jimallyn
Level 18
Level 18

Re: how to know which mirrors are up to date (Update Manager: please switch to another mirror / not up to date)

Post by jimallyn » Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:51 am

I've got that warning a few times. I just go through the procedure to switch to another mirror, and I assume if the one I choose is also out of date, I will soon be warned about that. Never happened yet, though.

“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan

Pjotr
Level 20
Level 20

Re: how to know which mirrors are up to date (Update Manager: please switch to another mirror / not up to date)

Post by Pjotr » Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:37 am

Or you can just wait a day or so.... Which is what I do.

Mirror servers are, by definition, always a little behind the main server. They only become up to date after syncing with the main server, which usually happens daily.

So it can happen that your mirror hasn't synced yet at the moment that you wish to update... No big deal. A little delay is the price you pay for the extra speed of local mirrors.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 19 Tara
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.

Lucap
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Lucap » Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:53 am

Just shows how crap our internet is here in Britain when a mirror on the other side of the world is 10x faster than the local one. :)

terano
Level 1
Level 1

Post by terano » Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:33 pm

Thanks everyone for the replies.

Now, one day later, the alert has gone. So probably, by chance, I updated in a moment when not only one, but many mirrors simultaniously weren't (for a while) up to date. I can live with that.

However, I still don't mark this topic solved because one question remains open for me:
How can I see (at a glance) which mirrors are up to date and which are not? Does a terminal command to list all up-to-date mirrors exist?

Pjotr
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Pjotr » Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:40 pm

Not that I know of....
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 19 Tara
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.

Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Cosmo. » Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:38 pm

terano wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:33 pm
How can I see (at a glance) which mirrors are up to date and which are not? Does a terminal command to list all up-to-date mirrors exist?
A single command: no. A script: might be, but very time-intensive.
The update manager compares a timestamp on the mirror with a timestamp on the main server; but only for the current mirror and AFAIK only for the Mint mirrors, not for the Ubuntu mirrors. Doing this for every mirror would obviously make it necessary to connect to each, read the timestamp, take the timestamp from the main server, compare it and so on. The greatest amount of time time will most likely be needed for the re-connections from one mirror to the next. - The easier workaround, if you have repeatedly the problem with your local mirrors, is to try a mirror in a neighborhood country or the main server for some time. The problem should be solved by the mirror server maintainers after a few days.

Return to “Software & Applications”