Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
That Random Guy
Level 1
Level 1

Is there a DASH alternative for LM?

Post by That Random Guy » Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:36 pm

Hello,

I was recently playing around with the keyboard shortcuts in the relevant config menu and I noticed there wasn't anything there by default for search.

I'm probably going to find something when I check in a bit, but is there no system search app (aside from find)? Something that get's run through the desktop like dash on gnome?

I've heard of something called Everything search and I think it might be what I'm looking for but I don't want to replace something that's already built into Linux Mint.

Therefore, I felt it necessary to ask what's in the title.

I'm running Linux Mint 18.2 Cinnamon as a guest machine.

TIA :)
Last edited by That Random Guy on Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Moem
Level 17
Level 17

Re: Is there a DASH alternative for LM?

Post by Moem » Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:42 pm

So Dash is what... a system search application? I believe all file managers come with their own search option... Nemo certainly does. That said, I like Catfish.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

jimallyn
Level 18
Level 18

Post by jimallyn » Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:25 am

Catfish is good. I use it all the time. There is another search application available that will even search inside files, but I don't remember what it's called, and it has to go through your hard drive indexing everything before it can find anything.

“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan

BenTrabetere
Level 5
Level 5

Post by BenTrabetere » Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:39 am

If you are talking about Ubuntu Unity Dash, I am pretty sure that is a part of the Unity desktop. Dash was a major reason I decided not to run Ubuntu, but I can see it might appeal to some people.

I can recommend two search tools: Catfish and ANGRYsearch. ANGRYsearch is an an attempt at making Linux version of Everything Search Engine "because no one else bothered." You can find it at https://github.com/dotheevo/angrysearch/

I can suggest another search tool: Searchmonkey. It is a GUI front-end for find and grep, and it can search text files for a word or string. I find it is easier and quicker to run find, locate and grep from the command line, but I think there is a place for Searchmonkey. It can be installed from Software Manager.
https://sourceforge.net/projects/searchmonkey/

That Random Guy
Level 1
Level 1

Post by That Random Guy » Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:58 pm

BenTrabetere wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:39 am
If you are talking about Ubuntu Unity Dash, I am pretty sure that is a part of the Unity desktop. Dash was a major reason I decided not to run Ubuntu, but I can see it might appeal to some people.

I can recommend two search tools: Catfish and ANGRYsearch. ANGRYsearch is an an attempt at making Linux version of Everything Search Engine "because no one else bothered." You can find it at https://github.com/dotheevo/angrysearch/

I can suggest another search tool: Searchmonkey. It is a GUI front-end for find and grep, and it can search text files for a word or string. I find it is easier and quicker to run find, locate and grep from the command line, but I think there is a place for Searchmonkey. It can be installed from Software Manager.
https://sourceforge.net/projects/searchmonkey/
Thank-you.

I've come to notice that certain distros just come with a front-end for some global search function and I've sort of gotten used to having that.

I don't necessarily want dash, but I would certainly like a front-end for something that does the same.

I think what you've mentioned is marvelous.

Thanks,

T.R.G.

Return to “Software & Applications”