Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
mintybits
Level 6
Level 6

ZFS hangs up

Post by mintybits » Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:20 pm

Has anyone else seen this?
I have a 2 drive ZFS mirror with WD Green 3TB drives. A few days ago my whole system became terribly slow. Today I discovered one of the drives has very slow performance. I ran the Disks program and did a read benchmark...it struggled to do 2MB/s.
Fine, I thought, I'll tell ZFS to put the drive offline so that my system would work quickly again and I could do a backup. But when I issued the zpool offline command on the affected drive, zfs never came back. I could not even do a zpool status nor zfs list. Each command just hung up. After waiting 15 minutes I decided to reboot...Linux Mint would not complete its shutdown and also hung up. Eventually, I resorted to pulling the plug. I disconnected the bad drive and the system rebooted ok in a degraded raid state. I'm now backing it up.

It is extremely rare in my experience for Linux to hang up like this.

Thx.

catweazel
Level 17
Level 17

Re: ZFS hangs up

Post by catweazel » Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:51 am

What you're experiencing is typical of both dying hardware and disk corruption. There's actually no telling what kind of symptoms might be experienced in such a situation, except that experience will tell you that something has gone belly up.
¡uʍop ǝpısdn sı buıɥʇʎɹǝʌǝ os ɐıןɐɹʇsnɐ ɯoɹɟ ɯ,ı

mintybits
Level 6
Level 6

Post by mintybits » Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:29 pm

The voice of experience. :)
I am sure Oracle didn't overlook this when designing ZFS so I reckon it must be something to do with the Linux variant and the OS. The hanging up that is. Imagine if this happened in a data centre.
My Linux OS is running off a separate, SSD.

mintybits
Level 6
Level 6

Post by mintybits » Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:22 am

I discovered something interesting that I wasn't aware of. Both of my WD Green drives, which have been in my ZFS mirror for a year or so, have huge load/unload cycle counts: 475000 and 525000. I used "hdparm -B 255" and "hdparm -S 0" to try to disable all power saving activity but the good drive still racked up 335 in 9 hours (about 1 every 100 seconds). Some research suggests Green drives are only warranted for 300000 cycles. The new Red drive I installed yesterday did only 3 cycles in the same time.
A fix I found http://www.storagereview.com/node/1031 describes a WD tool WDIDLE3 that can disable the Green's power saving. I'll try this and post the result.

mintybits
Level 6
Level 6

Post by mintybits » Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:50 am

Fixed it.
I downloaded and compiled the idle3 tool here: http://idle3-tools.sourceforge.net/
I found my WD Green 3TB was set to 8s timeout. I set it to 36 mins and power-cycled the drive.
Now it is not clocking up the load/unload cycles.
I imagine my other drive died because of an excess of cycles. Which would be a pointless waste of a drive.

Clearly this has been a known problem for at least 7 years. I didn't know. So that's a problem in itself.
The other problem was the way ZFS and my OS just hanged up when the drive failed.

I'll bet a lot of naive people like me use WD Green drives on their Linux systems. How can they find out before trashing a perfectly good drive?

BTW my new WD Red has a default timeout of 300s.

Return to “Software & Applications”