Some issues with Skype

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Level 1
Level 1

Some issues with Skype

Postby petegnj » Thu May 28, 2009 8:20 am

I have Gloria running on my XPS M1330 and it is very fast. One issue I have noticed on this computer is that it's a pain in the ass to get Skype working correctly. The video works but the audio needs to be fooled with every time I launch. I change "default" to pulse for both audio in and out and I resolve the error but I can't hear my voice on the test call playback. Also, and I see this with the wireless on my IBM T30 as well, why does the wireless signal strength indicator always project a much lower signal than what I see in the same location using Vista? In vista I NEVER see anything but all bars and "excellent" strength but in Mint standing a few feet from the wireless router I get 75%. What gives?

Anyone using Mint on the M1330 please chime in on the Skype issue if you have that worked out.

Level 23
Level 23

Re: Some issues with Skype

Postby Husse » Sun May 31, 2009 2:31 pm

You have to tell us more facts.
We also need to know a bit about all your hardware.
Run " lspci " in a terminal and post here (to avoid misunderstanding - the first character is a minor L and you copy by marking with the mouse and then right click)
Some wifi and possibly built in sound can be connected to USB even if they are internal - if you suspect you have one of these run " lsusb " in a terminal.
Also tell us if this is using mint4win or not, quite important
This is a standard answer so it may not be fully applicable to your situation
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it

Level 3
Level 3

Re: Some issues with Skype

Postby kei84 » Sun May 31, 2009 2:51 pm

About skype, try installing in synaptic skype-static or skype-static-oss instead of the regular skype variant.

Skype-static works just fine in Gloria here in my notebook.

Return to “Software & Applications”