Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
smifrt
Level 1
Level 1

Pale Moon browser - Solved

Post by smifrt » Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:40 am

I have read through the articles on Pale Moon browser on Linux Mint however my experience is with P/M on Vista. I was pleased with the performance and when I took the plunge and installed Mint 18.2 on my desktop I tried to install P/M, it was a trial and after some false starts it works perfectly for what I want to do. However I have had a problem with the NPOWER site. I enter the address and I tried to 'login' with my username and password and I am presented with a blank screen. I backed out and tried the same procedure with Firefox and everything worked O/K. I have tried various ways to get into the site and some work by choosing a subject such as 'enter meter readings' which then asks for a signin which then works. I have no idea what is happening under the hood so to speak as it works O/K in Firefox. What can I try to find the problem?
Last edited by smifrt on Sat Apr 07, 2018 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Night Wing
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Pale Moon browser

Post by Night Wing » Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:08 pm

The site you're having a problem with probably relates to "user agent sniffing". Which means change your user agent to trick the site into thinking you're using Firefox when in reality you're really using Pale Moon. I had to do this with YouTube because I was missing the Settings button so I couldn't get the Dark Theme which I wanted. I changed my user agent tricking YouTube into thinking I was using Firefox and by doing so, I was able to get the settings button where I could get the Dark Theme I wanted using my linux Pale Moon.

Some website people are lazy. They only want to support the Google Chrome, Internet Explorer 11, Firefox, Edge and Safari browsers.
Mint 18.3 (Sylvia) Xfce

smifrt
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Pale Moon browser

Post by smifrt » Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:58 am

Many thanks for your reply. As I am new to Linux mint and P/M, the "user agent" settings are a bit elusive, I have done a bite of searching however this situation is beyond me at the moment. When using P/M with M/Soft there are different menus and options - but I will keep on plugging away. Many thanks for your help.

Return to “Software & Applications”