Gwenview-Cinnamon

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
B-Still

Gwenview-Cinnamon

Post by B-Still »

Hello All,

I am trying out Linux Mint 18.3/Cinnamon and so far it has been really nice. I came here looking for advice with a Gwenview issue.
When I launch Gwenview, it opens fullscreen with no window border or controls, so I can not minimize/move/resize the window Gwenview os occupying. I looked around for some solutions and came across ths command,

sudo apt-get install kdelibs-bin kdelibs5-data kdelibs5-plugins

which did not resolve the issue. Additionally I had tried changing the "Theme" window border which also had no effect.

Does anyone have a suggestion?

Thanks in advance.
BenTrabetere
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Gwenview-Cinnamon

Post by BenTrabetere »

B-Still wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:18 pmDoes anyone have a suggestion?
It sounds as if Gwenview is opening in Full Scream Screen Mode. The easiest way to toggle in/out of Full Screen Mode is to press F-11.
Patreon sponsor since August 2022
B-Still

Post by B-Still »

BenTrabetere wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:58 pm It sounds as if Gwenview is opening in Full Scream Screen Mode. The easiest way to toggle in/out of Full Screen Mode is to press F-11.
I didn't think I had to add this but that was one of the first things tried, however F11 does not work. No window border to resize.

Thanks anyway.
BenTrabetere
Level 7
Level 7

Post by BenTrabetere »

B-Still wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:28 pmI didn't think I had to add this but that was one of the first things tried....
Sometimes the solution is hiding in plain sight. I like to start by pointing out the obvious. :)

You might want to post to the Gwenview forum.
https://forum.kde.org/viewforum.php?f=213

I am running LM-MATE 18.3, and I think I just caught your bug. I started Gwenview to see if I could find a setting, and it opened to something I have never seen before. It definitely isn't Full Screen Mode - it almost looks like a theme gone sideways. The layout is weird, and the thumbnails are not visible. Also, the Title bar, the Menu Bar and controls have disappeared.

When I launch it from the command line, I get an error
KServiceTypeTrader: serviceType "ThumbCreator" not found

Pity - I liked Gwenview, and for a while it was my default image viewer.

My only suggestion at this point is to switch to another image viewer. I suggest Geeqie, Pix and XnView MP. Geeqie is just an image viewer, and the other two also have basic tools for image editing. I prefer Geeqie because it is fast, I like the interface, and because I never used Pix and XnView MP to edit images. But at one time or another I have used all three as my default image viewer.

Geeqie and Pix are in the repos; you can download the .deb for XnView MP from the website.

http://www.geeqie.org/
https://github.com/linuxmint/pix
https://www.xnview.com/en/xnviewmp/
Patreon sponsor since August 2022
B-Still

Post by B-Still »

Hello,

I will look into your suggestions.

I did not add this tidbit of information to the initial post, perhaps I should have. Upon the initial install of Gwenview, icons were missing, it opened full screen with no window border/controls, and I could not navigate with the Gwenview controls to open an image located in a local directory or on a flash drive. However after some searching around I found the kdelibs solution that is posted. After the libs were installed Gwenview started working as expected, except the window controls/border. I'll keep looking and if I find a fix I'll post it. Or if anyone else does....

Thanks for the posts.
lmuserx4849

Post by lmuserx4849 »

B-Still wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:48 pm Hello,

I will look into your suggestions.

I did not add this tidbit of information to the initial post, perhaps I should have. Upon the initial install of Gwenview, icons were missing, it opened full screen with no window border/controls, and I could not navigate with the Gwenview controls to open an image located in a local directory or on a flash drive. However after some searching around I found the kdelibs solution that is posted. After the libs were installed Gwenview started working as expected, except the window controls/border. I'll keep looking and if I find a fix I'll post it. Or if anyone else does....

Thanks for the posts.
I was particularly interested in your question (and answer :-)), because I ran into this too, not with gwenview but dolphin on mate (Dolphin, Settings > General > Previews was empty.)

Do you have any other kde apps installed on cinnamon to confirm if it is all kde apps or just gwenview? What version of LM (18 or 17) are you running? I have LM18, gwenview running on mate, and window decorations are ok. I have the breeze theme installed. I wonder if you start gwenview from the command line, if there would be any messages written to the console that might give you a clue. What window manager is used on cinnamon (wmctrl -m)? This brings up an interesting question, how do you customize kde windows in cinnamon or other, since the settings window/control center is geared to the specific desktop?
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi B-Still, & Anyone Else,

You might consider installing "kde-runtime", "kimageformat-plugins", "kdegraphics-thumbnailers", "ffmpegthumbs", "kffmpegthumbnailer" from the "Synaptic Package Manager (SPM)" and let us know if that works for you.

Code: Select all

sudo apt install kde-runtime kimageformat-plugins kdegraphics-thumbnailers ffmpegthumbs kffmpegthumbnailer
Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
B-Still

Post by B-Still »

Hello all,

I tried the command...

sudo apt install kde-runtime kimageformat-plugins kdegraphics-thumbnailers ffmpegthumbs kffmpegthumbnailer
However still no window border on Gwenview. The only other KDE specific program I use is K3B, and so far on this install of Linux Mint 18.3/Cinnamon I have burned a OPNSense DVD without any issue. All windows have windows borders and function expected in K3B. Thanks for the posts/ideas. I'll keep looking for a solution.
iourine

Post by iourine »

SOLVED!

I had exactly the problem desribed by the topic starter for 2 years, all the time of Mint 18.x Mate. Nothing helped, even reinstalling the system from the zero point. It was solved by itself while migrating to Mint 19 a year ago. (Probably I copied only the directories that I definitely knew in my homedir, e.g. ".mozilla", and omitted the others, including what was the source of the problem.) It appeared again a few days ago on one of my machines. Also it was present only in my account; once a clean account was created, Gwenview opened in its normal way. Thus it became clear that it was some of my user settings that caused the problem.

Comparing the ~/.config/gwenvierc files on different machines, I found the following records, different from what was in the normal case:

Height 1080=1080
State=AAAA/wAAAAD9AAAAAAAAB4AAAAR2AAAABAAAAAQAAAAIAAAACPwAAAABAAAAAgAAAAEAAAAWAG0AYQBpAG4AVABvAG8AbABCAGEAcgEAAAAA/////wAAAAAAAAAA
Width 1920=1920

[MainWindow]
Height 1080=1080
State=AAAA/wAAAAD9AAAAAAAAB4AAAAR2AAAABAAAAAQAAAAIAAAACPwAAAABAAAAAgAAAAEAAAAWAG0AYQBpAG4AVABvAG8AbABCAGEAcgEAAAAA/////wAAAAAAAAAA
ToolBarsMovable=Disabled
Width 1920=1920
Unfortunately I could not find the complete description for gwenviewrc, yet some things are pretty evident. First, the untitled section at the very beginning definitely looks erroneous. I deleted it, with absolutely no effect.

Second, in [MainWindow] section, the Height 1080= and Width 1920= apparently set the initial window dimensions while starting at the display of specified size. On the normal machines, they are less than the display size, and are changed every time when you resize the window and close Gwenview. (But not maximize it - this is set by a separate key.) No surprise that if they are set to the full display size, the window occupies exactly the entire display at startup, leaving no room for window borders, title and controls. And there is no regular way to change its size from within it. Neither it is possible from the panel.

Set the values to something less, e.g.

Height 1080=600
Width 1920=800
and Gwenvew starts in a window of the proper size, with all the relevant decorations.

Return to “Software & Applications”