Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
throatgorge
Level 2
Level 2

xorg video wizard (puppy linux) find and install on mint xfce

Post by throatgorge » Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:44 pm

While I was waiting for a hard drive to come in the mail I was running puppy linux on a USB and found a program called "xorg video wizard" that allowed me to adjust the tint and brightness of my monitor-- I liked this MUCH better than redshift, because redshift doesn't control monitor brightness and seems to just follow the sun, which my sleep schedule doesn't. It is not included in the mint xfce's software packages, but my puppy linux was running and xfce desktop... I tried to find the repository and actual name I would type in after "sudo apt-get install" but web searches were fruitless.
Seems to me something so functional should be available, especially on an xfce desktop.
Alternative programs all seem to feature automatic dimming, which is not for me, as my sleep schedule is subject to insomnia, screaming toddlers waking up at night, and whether my household income is left to the whims of varying shifts.
I want xorg video wizard! How can I get it?

Hoser Rob
Level 11
Level 11

Re: xorg video wizard (puppy linux) find and install on mint xfce

Post by Hoser Rob » Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:59 pm

Puppy is based on Ubuntu like Mint, and there's generally going to be a reason that xorgwizard isn't in the repos. A little search gives some clues ...

https://github.com/puppylinux-woof-CE/w ... issues/583

... in which a bunch of devs ask themselves why they still use something so old and abandoned. For one thing it has xorg.conf as a dependency, and Ubuntu hasn't created that file when you install for years.

I'm having doubts it'd work myself.

throatgorge
Level 2
Level 2

Re: xorg video wizard (puppy linux) find and install on mint xfce

Post by throatgorge » Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:00 pm

thanks.
I guess I'll keep looking for a monitor dimmer and use that in conjunction with redshift.

Return to “Software & Applications”