Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Bill-M
Level 1
Level 1

VirtualBox Serial Port Problem

Post by Bill-M » Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:47 am

I am having a problem with VirtualBox 5.2.6 and Guest Additions 5.2.7 With VirtualBox 5.2.6 Oracle VM VirtualBox Extension Pack installed. My Host is LM 18.3 (64) Cinnamon. My guests are LM 17.3, LM 18.3 and Windows 2000. I'm a newb and not so hot yet with permissions. I need to get the Windows 2000 guest running before I can move on to OS transition mode. Can't get serial port to work on any of the 3 guests. I have tried -

Serial Port Settings -
Port 1 > Enabled
Port Number > COM1
Port Mode > Host Device
Path/Address > COM1 (Also tried Com2, Com3, Com4)

Click OK then Start, machine returns VirtualBox - Error
"Cannot open host device '/dev/tty0' for read/write access. Check the permissions of that device ('/bin/ls -l /dev/tty0'): Most probably you need to be member of the device group. Make sure that you logout/login after changing the group settings of the current user (VERR_ACCESS_DENIED)."

Not sure of what I'm doing so I typed this command that I found while searching for help to see if USB/Serial device present -
Terminal - "dmesg | grep tty" which returns -

[ 0.000000] console [tty0] enabled
[ 10.266714] usb 2-2.1.3: pl2303 converter now attached to ttyUSB0

I think this means the USB/Serial adapter is in the system so I went back to VirtualBox serial settings and set to -

Serial Port Settings -
Port 1 > Enabled
Port Number > COM1
Port Mode > Host Device
Path/Address > /dev/ttyUSB0

Error again with a different message -

"Cannot open host device '/dev/ttyUSB0' for read/write access. Check the permissions of that device ('/bin/ls -l /dev/ttyUSB0'): Most probably you need to be member of the device group. Make sure that you logout/login after changing the group settings of the current user (VERR_ACCESS_DENIED)."

Disable Serial Ports, guest system's start. It looks like I have a permission problem but I don't know why nor have I been able to find any search help that reads on this problem. As I said I am a newb and can't move forward until I get Windows 2000 serial running COM2 1200 N 8 1. Sorry for the long post, not sure of how much detail is too much or too little.

Return to “Software & Applications”