How to choose/force English in Update Manager?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
guygregphilly
Level 1
Level 1

How to choose/force English in Update Manager?

Post by guygregphilly » Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:12 pm

Hi,
I am using Linux Mint 17.0 with KDE. Using KDE's "System Settings", I have a second Locale installed, enabling me to switch the user interface to a second language. "American English" remains the first/primary locale, and the one used when I do updates.

This is not an issue anywhere except in Update Manager. There, about half of the descriptions for packages come up in English, and half in the other language--it appears to be randomly intermixing use of the two languages. This would never be the correct behavior, it should always use all one language or all the other (except maybe in the case where there was no description for the package in the other language, in which case fallback to English would be appropriate). I guess it's possible that's what's happening, UM is somehow "stuck" in the second language, using descriptions in that language where available and English where not.

Anyway, there's no language setting in UM that I can see. Is there any way I can get UM to display package descriptions in English only? I have "mintUpdate 4.9.3.4"

Thanks!

Return to “Software & Applications”