Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Anoep
Level 1
Level 1

problem with WPS

Post by Anoep » Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:01 pm

i installed WPS because i have files made in MS Office i need to review and edit. I found only WPS can do this better than standard installed Libre Office.

i made screenshot of error message:

how can i fix this? i do not know were to find these missing symbol.

thank you
Last edited by Moem on Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Adding the [rimg] tags (for remote images) with links to images makes your image appear directly inside the post.

jimallyn
Level 18
Level 18

Re: problem with WPS

Post by jimallyn » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:14 pm

As far as I know, the only way to fix it is to install the fonts the document needs. I googled for 'download wingdings' and you can purchase them from Microsoft, starting at $29. There were also a few places that said you could download them for free. That could be pirated stuff, or fonts that contain security issues, or who knows what. I think if you save the file as a PDF with embedded fonts, then open the file with MasterPDFEditor, you might be able to do what you want to do. I do not know of any free replacement.

“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan

Schultz
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Schultz » Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:57 pm

The package Fonts-opensymbol comes installed with Mint, and it says it contains the Wingdings font, so I don't know why WPS can't handle it. Maybe it's only applicable to LO?

Someone else had a similar problem on Ubuntu's forums, maybe something is there that can help you?
https://askubuntu.com/questions/560913/ ... untu-14-04

jimallyn
Level 18
Level 18

Post by jimallyn » Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:36 am

Schultz wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:57 pm
and it says it contains the Wingdings font
No. It says "This font contains symbols (like fonts as Wingdings(tm))." It has symbols, like Wingdings does, but it doesn't have Wingdings.

“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan

catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel » Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:54 am

Anoep wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:01 pm
how can i fix this? i do not know were to find these missing symbol.
Wingdings is a Windwoes font, so you need to install the Microsoft fonts package. However the core Microsoft fonts don't have Wingdings or the other fonts listed, only Webdings.

Code: Select all

sudo apt install ttf-mscorefonts-installer
See this link. Down 2/3 of the page you will see the heading Debian (Ubuntu) Linux Distributions. Issue the command above then skip the first step under that heading. Also skip step 4.

If nothing else, the above will put you on the right track.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.

Schultz
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Schultz » Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:06 pm

jimallyn wrote:
No. It says "This font contains symbols (like fonts as Wingdings(tm))." It has symbols, like Wingdings does, but it doesn't have Wingdings.
I see. That can be a bit misleading though. I think that part in parenthesis ought to be deleted to avoid confusion.

Return to “Software & Applications”