[SOLVED] Deleted program menu shortcut

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Post Reply
Vasilis_K
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 38
Joined: Sat May 20, 2017 6:07 pm
Location: Athens

[SOLVED] Deleted program menu shortcut

Post by Vasilis_K » Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:56 pm

I entered the menu editor of the Mint menu (the one that opens through the the bottom left Mint icon). There, I deleted by accident a programs shortcut, and I can't bring it back. I tried uninstalling the program and reinstalling it, even a system restore with Timeshift, but no good. The program is there and works just fine, but I want that shortcut back. Any ideas?
Thanks in advance.
Last edited by Vasilis_K on Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Sir Charles
Level 7
Level 7
Posts: 1832
Joined: Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:00 pm

Re: Deleted program menu shortcut

Post by Sir Charles » Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:12 am

I imagine that it would be possible to create a new launcher for the application in question using the menu editor. This is how it looks like under Xfce:
menueditor.png
Click on "+" in the menubar and choose "Add Launcher". Fill in the command for your application in the corresponding box. Click on the cog wheel and chose "Browse icons". Choose an icon and save the new launcher. You could then move it to the appropriate category.
I suppose that's one of the ironies of life, doing the wrong thing at the right moment -C.C.

Vasilis_K
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 38
Joined: Sat May 20, 2017 6:07 pm
Location: Athens

Re: Deleted program menu shortcut

Post by Vasilis_K » Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:02 pm

Marziano wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:12 am
I imagine that it would be possible to create a new launcher for the application in question using the menu editor. This is how it looks like under Xfce:

menueditor.png

Click on "+" in the menubar and choose "Add Launcher". Fill in the command for your application in the corresponding box. Click on the cog wheel and chose "Browse icons". Choose an icon and save the new launcher. You could then move it to the appropriate category.
I'm aware of the process you describe, but there's a little issue: I don't know the command for starting the application. :roll: The app I'm talking about is Master PDF Editor. Any idea about the command? I've googled it a little bit but I've only found links about installing it trough command line, not using it.

User avatar
Sir Charles
Level 7
Level 7
Posts: 1832
Joined: Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:00 pm

Re: Deleted program menu shortcut

Post by Sir Charles » Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:50 pm

You could run the application. Open then a terminal and run top or htop. In the last column to the right you will find the command for all the currently running applications/processes. Hope this helps.
I suppose that's one of the ironies of life, doing the wrong thing at the right moment -C.C.

Vasilis_K
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 38
Joined: Sat May 20, 2017 6:07 pm
Location: Athens

Re: Deleted program menu shortcut

Post by Vasilis_K » Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:06 pm

Marziano wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:50 pm
You could run the application. Open then a terminal and run top or htop. In the last column to the right you will find the command for all the currently running applications/processes. Hope this helps.
"top" gives me the list you mention. The command is "masterpdfeditor" but it gives the message "command not found" in the terminal... :(

User avatar
Sir Charles
Level 7
Level 7
Posts: 1832
Joined: Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:00 pm

Re: Deleted program menu shortcut

Post by Sir Charles » Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:12 pm

What would you get if you run whereis masterpdfeditor ?
I suppose that's one of the ironies of life, doing the wrong thing at the right moment -C.C.

Vasilis_K
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 38
Joined: Sat May 20, 2017 6:07 pm
Location: Athens

Re: Deleted program menu shortcut

Post by Vasilis_K » Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:21 pm

Marziano wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:12 pm
What would you get if you run whereis masterpdfeditor ?
This: "masterpdfeditor:"

User avatar
kc1di
Level 13
Level 13
Posts: 4655
Joined: Mon Sep 08, 2008 8:44 pm
Location: Maine USA

Re: Deleted program menu shortcut

Post by kc1di » Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:23 pm

Marziano wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:12 pm
What would you get if you run whereis masterpdfeditor ?
If you installed masterpdf4 the exicute command is

Code: Select all

/opt/master-pdf-editor-4/masterpdfeditor4 %f
or you can also use

Code: Select all

/usr/bin/masterpdfeditor4
either will work.
good luck.
Easy tips : https://sites.google.com/site/easylinuxtipsproject/
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608

User avatar
Sir Charles
Level 7
Level 7
Posts: 1832
Joined: Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:00 pm

Re: Deleted program menu shortcut

Post by Sir Charles » Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:26 pm

kc1di wrote:

Code: Select all

/usr/bin/masterpdfeditor4
That's it! Was hoping to get the path to the binary.

@Vasilis_K
Would you try to run the line above in a terminal and see if you can start the application?
I suppose that's one of the ironies of life, doing the wrong thing at the right moment -C.C.

Vasilis_K
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 38
Joined: Sat May 20, 2017 6:07 pm
Location: Athens

Re: Deleted program menu shortcut

Post by Vasilis_K » Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:38 pm

Marziano wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:26 pm
kc1di wrote:

Code: Select all

/usr/bin/masterpdfeditor4
That's it! Was hoping to get the path to the binary.

@Vasilis_K
Would you try to run the line above in a terminal and see if you can start the application?

Code: Select all

masterpdfeditor4
did the job!
Thanks a lot you guys! :D

User avatar
Sir Charles
Level 7
Level 7
Posts: 1832
Joined: Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:00 pm

Re: [SOLVED] Deleted program menu shortcut

Post by Sir Charles » Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:41 pm

You're welcome! Nice it got sorted out. Go ahead and create a new launcher and/or shortcut.
cheers
I suppose that's one of the ironies of life, doing the wrong thing at the right moment -C.C.

Post Reply

Return to “Software & Applications”