[SOLVED] Deleted program menu shortcut

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Vasilis_K
Level 2
Level 2

[SOLVED] Deleted program menu shortcut

Post by Vasilis_K »

I entered the menu editor of the Mint menu (the one that opens through the the bottom left Mint icon). There, I deleted by accident a programs shortcut, and I can't bring it back. I tried uninstalling the program and reinstalling it, even a system restore with Timeshift, but no good. The program is there and works just fine, but I want that shortcut back. Any ideas?
Thanks in advance.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Sir Charles

Re: Deleted program menu shortcut

Post by Sir Charles »

I imagine that it would be possible to create a new launcher for the application in question using the menu editor. This is how it looks like under Xfce:
menueditor.png
Click on "+" in the menubar and choose "Add Launcher". Fill in the command for your application in the corresponding box. Click on the cog wheel and chose "Browse icons". Choose an icon and save the new launcher. You could then move it to the appropriate category.
Vasilis_K
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Vasilis_K »

Marziano wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:12 am I imagine that it would be possible to create a new launcher for the application in question using the menu editor. This is how it looks like under Xfce:

menueditor.png

Click on "+" in the menubar and choose "Add Launcher". Fill in the command for your application in the corresponding box. Click on the cog wheel and chose "Browse icons". Choose an icon and save the new launcher. You could then move it to the appropriate category.
I'm aware of the process you describe, but there's a little issue: I don't know the command for starting the application. :roll: The app I'm talking about is Master PDF Editor. Any idea about the command? I've googled it a little bit but I've only found links about installing it trough command line, not using it.
Sir Charles

Post by Sir Charles »

You could run the application. Open then a terminal and run top or htop. In the last column to the right you will find the command for all the currently running applications/processes. Hope this helps.
Vasilis_K
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Vasilis_K »

Marziano wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:50 pm You could run the application. Open then a terminal and run top or htop. In the last column to the right you will find the command for all the currently running applications/processes. Hope this helps.
"top" gives me the list you mention. The command is "masterpdfeditor" but it gives the message "command not found" in the terminal... :(
Sir Charles

Post by Sir Charles »

What would you get if you run whereis masterpdfeditor ?
Vasilis_K
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Vasilis_K »

Marziano wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:12 pm What would you get if you run whereis masterpdfeditor ?
This: "masterpdfeditor:"
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Post by kc1di »

Marziano wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:12 pm What would you get if you run whereis masterpdfeditor ?
If you installed masterpdf4 the exicute command is

Code: Select all

/opt/master-pdf-editor-4/masterpdfeditor4 %f
or you can also use

/usr/bin/masterpdfeditor4
either will work.
good luck.
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608
Sir Charles

Post by Sir Charles »

kc1di wrote:

That's it! Was hoping to get the path to the binary.

@Vasilis_K
Would you try to run the line above in a terminal and see if you can start the application?
Vasilis_K
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Vasilis_K »

Marziano wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:26 pm
kc1di wrote:

That's it! Was hoping to get the path to the binary.

@Vasilis_K
Would you try to run the line above in a terminal and see if you can start the application?

masterpdfeditor4
did the job!
Thanks a lot you guys! :D
Sir Charles

Re: [SOLVED] Deleted program menu shortcut

Post by Sir Charles »

You're welcome! Nice it got sorted out. Go ahead and create a new launcher and/or shortcut.
cheers

Return to “Software & Applications”