Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
roanoke
Level 1
Level 1

How to install zamtalk in Wine?

Post by roanoke » Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:10 pm

Hi. How to install zamtalk in Wine 3.1/PlayonLinux?
It does not work, it's spinning...
http://zamtalk.com/
Linux Mint 18.3 Cinnamon
Xubuntu 18.04

kc1di
Level 14
Level 14

Re: How to install zamtalk in Wine?

Post by kc1di » Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:58 am

I'm not sure zamtalk is going to work with wine, It's not listed on wineHQ apps at all. But you can try and see if it works
Easiest way I've found to install and remove programs is to install playonlinux - it can be installed using synaptic package manager or in a terminal
with this command:

Code: Select all

sudo apt install playonlinux
once installed it will be found in the menu under games section.
The advantage is that you can try the program with different wine versions and it is install in a virtual file so it does not affect any other programs you may be running with wine.
good luck.
P.S. not all windows programs run well with wine.
if it won't run with wine you can always set up a windows install on virtualbox and run it there.
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608

roanoke
Level 1
Level 1

Post by roanoke » Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:37 am

I've tried it already. Did not work.
Wine 3.1
Virtualbox 5.2.6 > Winows XP, Winows 7 not work zamtalk.
Linux Mint 18.3 Cinnamon
Xubuntu 18.04

Hoser Rob
Level 14
Level 14

Post by Hoser Rob » Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:23 am

kc1di wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:58 am
.... not all windows programs run well with wine. ...
That's an understatement. Windows apps fail completely most of the time with Wine and when they work at all they often run badly. Wine is a ridiculous, stuoid hack. A quick search of "linux wine zamtalk" yields nothing of any use. Try to find a Linux alternative.

Flemur
Level 17
Level 17

Post by Flemur » Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:53 am

Hoser Rob wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:23 am
Windows apps fail completely most of the time with Wine
No they don't
Wine is a ridiculous, stuoid hack.
No it's not.
Try to find a Linux alternative.
"When they work at all they often run badly" applies to native linux apps more than is does to windows apps running under wine because most linux apps are kludgey, quirky and unreliable, and that's why I wouldn't bother to use linux without wine.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
Mint 19.1 Xfce/fluxbox
Manjaro openbox/fluxbox

phd21
Level 19
Level 19

Post by phd21 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:12 pm

Hi roanoke,

I just read your post and the good replies to it. Here are my thoughts on this as well.

After a quick research into "zamtalk", it seems to be for Windows and phones only? And, most importantly, I do not see any mention of security or secure communications. You could use Virtualbox with a version of MS windows installed in that and any MS Windows applications installed in that, assuming your computer has the resources to run it efficiently.

There are many multimedia messengers for text, voice, and or video that available that are cross-platform meaning that they work on MS Windows, Mac, Linux, and smartphones and tablets (Android or iOS, etc..). I would highly recommend using a secure multimedia messenger and there are many posts in this forum on this topic.

Some secure multi-media messengers: my favorite is "qTox" (there are various "Tox" network clients) running on the secure Tox network, "Wire" created by ex-Skype developers, Ring, Linphone, Jitsi (multi-account), "Signal", etc... Some messaging apps only work with 64-bit computers now, and others (Telegram, Signal, Viber, etc...) require that you have a smartphone to activate their application. I have never tried "Ring" or "Signal" although I have them installed because they have great reviews.

Skype, Facebook, Hangouts, etc... are not secure, although Facebook now has a private conversation option.

Most secure multi-media messengers are not connected to a social network, but you can be on a social network and then when you meet people that you want to have a secure conversation (text, voice, and or video), then switch or invite them to use a secure messaging application.

There is a network protocol called "xmpp or jabber" with servers all over the world with various chat rooms and social websites, and all people on these can chat with each other, and there are various messaging apps that can make your conversations secure, like "Jitsi", "Pidgin", etc... with various security options like OTR, SSL, GPG/PGP, etc... "Jitsi" works well. I have never been able to get Pidgin to do voice (audio) or video calls. These are also multi-account capable meaning you can add xmpp-jabber accounts, Google Hangout/Talk accounts, Pidgin can do Facebook and Skype text, etc... all at the same time.

I usually have qTox and a multi-account messaging application like Jitsi, Pidgin, or KDE's Kopete or Telepathy running at the same time.

FYI:
Why We Should All Be Using the Encrypted Chat App Signal | WIRED
https://www.wired.com/story/ditch-all-t ... se-signal/

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint KDE 18.3 & 19, 64-bit Awesome OS, Ancient Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram,256gb SDD, Video: Intel 4 Graphics, DVD Lightscribe. Why I use KDE?:https://opensource.com/life/15/4/9-reasons-to-use-kde

Return to “Software & Applications”