blender software update

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
lisabiziou

blender software update

Post by lisabiziou »

Hallo

Id like to know when Linux will update its version of blender. The internal one in Linux mint is 2,76 while everyone is using 2,79 or 2,80. I have downloaded 2,79 and 80 and find them very unstable and think this is because im running it from the download. So when will they be updating and will it be a reasonable modern version.

lisa
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Jim Hauser

Re: blender software update

Post by Jim Hauser »

The problems you are having with the newer versions could be the reason they are not in the Mint repositories.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

This is one of the most common Linux newbie complaints. The underlying thins there is that backwards and forwards compatibility doesn't work in Linux like it does in WIndows (or at least used to). So you're always making a compromise between OS stability and having new software. This is why beginners are advised to stick to the tested repo software. I don't use ppas or tarballs unless absolutely necessary.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
stormryder

Post by stormryder »

lisabiziou wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:51 am I have downloaded 2,79 and 80 and find them very unstable and think this is because im running it from the download.
2.79 runs fine for me on Mint 18.3 Mate from my home folder. I also have it on another machine with 17.3 Mate and it works fine on that too.
You should check if the flatpak in the software manager will work, but as far as I know the tar.gz contains the full runtime environment too so it shouldn't depend on anything on your system either.
Edited to add:
Flatpaks automatically update when you turn on your pc, you can turn off this feature in start-up applications and update flatpaks with flatpak update in the terminal.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

stormryder wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:04 am... as far as I know the tar.gz contains the full runtime environment too so it shouldn't depend on anything on your system either.....
That is VERY unlikely.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
stormryder

Post by stormryder »

Hoser Rob wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:54 am That is VERY unlikely.
You're the expert, still works for me though.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

stormryder wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:30 pm
Hoser Rob wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:54 am That is VERY unlikely.
You're the expert, still works for me though.
It likely works on your hardware and drivers, not necessarily everyone's.
Chriske
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Chriske »

Hi guys,

It's an old one I know, just installed Blender 2.76 on Mint18.3.
Does anybody know about Blender update availability.
I'd like to start using it, but see many tutorials on the net made in the newest Blender version.

Thanks in advance.
Chris
racer-x
Level 5
Level 5

Post by racer-x »

Just use the appimage version, that's what I mostly use for Graphics apps that I want to keep current. Right now I'm using Blender 2.8.3.4.
Hugh Neutron
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Hugh Neutron »

Check if someone made a PPA. If not just use the binary they provide on the official website.

Disiable the PPA after you get done updating.
always wanting to learn more about Linux. It saved me from the Windows 10 telemetry and SAAS nightmare.
Buffy

Post by Buffy »

I just use the binary tarball right from Blender.org, it's super ez to install and works great.
Chriske
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Chriske »

Thanks Buffy, done that and it works.
Chriske
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Chriske »

I think this thread needs to be marked |SOLVED|, not..??

Return to “Software & Applications”