(solved) MS Office - best way to run this windows suite in Linux Mint?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Bob M
Level 3
Level 3

Re: (solved) MS Office - best way to run this windows suite in Linux Mint?

Post by Bob M » Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:16 pm

Guy’s & Gal’s,

I’ve been watching this thread with great interest and have come up with a couple of query’s of my own.

Firstly, I have had success with “Wine” and when that didn’t do the trick, installing “Winetricks” did. Both these programmes play well together and I have a good number of programs designed for Windows working fine. Now I see another program called PlayOnLinux has crept into the equation so I wonder if Wine, Winetricks and PlayOnLinux would play nicely together?

(A bit of a heads up (while I think of it) for those running “Office” programs and having trouble with spreadsheets. I have a couple of quite complicated Windows .xls spreadsheets containing Macro’s and Libre Office 5 opens and runs them fine, but they must be saved as .xls again if changes are made.)

Moving onto VirtualBox. I’m keen to give it a try, but I wonder if I have the resources to run it alongside Mint – ver18 Sarah – Cinnamon. Mem: 4 gig - CPU: AMD Dual Core 64bit?

So to summarise: I’m not sure that PlayOnLinux would work with Mint ver18 – Sarah, as it’s not in the Synaptic Manager, so advice on that would be appreciated and do I have sufficient resources to run VirtualBox?

Thanks for any advice

Bob

Return to “Software & Applications”