How I got FROSTWIRE to work- Mint 18.3

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
caracine
Level 1
Level 1

How I got FROSTWIRE to work- Mint 18.3

Post by caracine »

Hi,
I've been a happy Linux user ever since Microsoft tried to push Windows 7 on the world and I said: 'hell no!, there's got to be another way -and without having to take an Apple of that tree'. I'm still a newbie IMHO but have learned a fair amount, time permitting.
My only complaint about Linux is: it just sucks having everything work all the time (haha). My only real frustration in life is regularly fixing my Father's Microsoft computer.

Anyway, since I've received a wealth of info from this forum over the years I wanted to give back something that I hope may help others.

The computer system basic details:
MSI MB, A12, 8-core processor, 32g of RAM, blah, blah, blah
-Linux Mint 18.3
-JAVA version installed: 1.8.0_161
FROSTWIRE version installed: 8.6.3

FROSTWIRE challenges:_____________________________________________________________________________________________________
I had been trying to get Frostwire to work for quite sometime but always fell short of actually having it start after the installation (always got that FATAL EXCEPTION error but NOT that JAVA version error).

At different times I tried the DEB packages from 1. the Frostwire website; OR, 2. from the LM repository to see if either one would work possibly.
No luck. I could always get Frostwire to install but never start (launch) successfully.

It's important to note that I had no luck even though I was sure I had the correct JAVA version for the Frostwire release I was trying to install.

I eventually dug into the Frostwire.sh launch script and made sure the JAVA directories were correct for my system (they weren't, but that, it turns out, didn't matter).

So after uninstalling and reinstalling Frostwire AND JAVA several times I, once again, wiped out JAVA and Frostwire completely from my system (do this thru Synaptic Package Manager for best and easiest results).

I'd been researching this problem for a long time and never found a way to make it work so I did what I should have tried a long time ago:
(sorry if this seems painfully obvious to some of you!)

After I installed the latest FROSTWIRE AND JAVA into my system (via Synaptic PM), I opened the FROSTWIRE PROGRAM FOLDER ( /usr/lib/frostwire )
AS ROOT.
Next I OPENED A TERMINAL INSIDE THAT SAME 'ROOT' WINDOW, and typed: frostwire
Next window I saw was the Frostwire start up window and filled out a few things as prompted (save folder location, to seed or not to seed, etc.,).
Next I clicked FINISH and FROSTWIRE FINALLY STARTED

It's important to note that, for now, I can only start FROSTWIRE with success as ROOT (until I figure out how the script is goofed to let users start it)
Lastly, note that since you've started Frostwire as Root you'll need to open your SAVE TO folder as Root to see your downloads (copy/paste them to your user folder if you like).
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I'll update this topic when I can share more. I hope this helps somebody.

Cheers!
Chris
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
rdanner3

Re: How I got FROSTWIRE to work- Mint 18.3

Post by rdanner3 »

Quick question: Since Frostwire seems to be a torrent client, why bother? Transmission works out of the box. (Picked up LibreOffice 6.x help via Transmission when I meant to download the DEB directly due to a PEBCAK...) (PEBCAK: Problem Exists Between Computer And Keyboard which is also sometimes referred to as an ID10T error) LOL
caracine
Level 1
Level 1

Re: How I got FROSTWIRE to work- Mint 18.3

Post by caracine »

Hi,
I like the search function in Frostwire. That's why I use it. But you're right, it's just a BitTorrent app. I have used KTorrrent as well with great success.
BTW-
I'm able to successfully open Frostwire only in a terminal, or should I say, root terminal, since I use the $.... sudo frostwire command to open it.
If I try to open it (like normal) as a basic user the Frostwire launcher crashes with a Fatal Error message window every time. No big deal, however, now that I got to work.
I'm still noodling why it won't open like it used to through the program menu as a basic user.
Cheers!
Chris

Return to “Software & Applications”