LinuxMint and Thunderbird

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
kwh01
Level 1
Level 1

LinuxMint and Thunderbird

Post by kwh01 »

Hello
I used WIN7PROF 64Bit and Thunderbird (64Bit) Email-Client for Yaers.
On a second HDD I installed LinuxMint (Cinnamon 64Bit) and Thunderbird (64Bit).
I linked my Local Email Files to the WIN-HDD and it works fine.
No I have the following Issue:
After booting LinuxMint and Thunderbird on the next Day, the Local Email Files do not appear in the left Column.
When I first start the "File Manager" and open the WIN-HDD (the WIN-HDD Icom appears on the Desktop) and start the Thunderbird, then the Local File Folders are visible and can be used.

I don’t know, if this an LinuxMint Issue or a Thunderbird Issue.
However, every Help is welcome.

Kindly Yours
Karl-Werner
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
greerd
Level 6
Level 6

Re: LinuxMint and Thunderbird

Post by greerd »

My guess is that it nether a Mint or a Thunderbird's issue. It sounds like you are mounting the WIN-HDD via the file-manager(gvfs), so the drive doesn't get mounted until you click on it from within the file-manager.

If it an internal (or permanently attached) HDD you should probably mount the WIN-HDD on boot by adding the drive to your /etc/fstab file. Do a search on the forum for windows and fstab for information on how to do it and what options should be used.

Cheers
absque fenestris
Level 12
Level 12

Post by absque fenestris »

I linked my Local Email Files to the WIN-HDD and it works fine.

Have you ever heard something about security?
You need to rebuild your account with Thunderbird now on Linux ...!

So please: under Linux choose Thunderbird - create new account - Type it your name - your email address - your password ... ...

GNU/Linux Mint is an operating system. :mrgreen: It is. :mrgreen: It's not the playground of Windows whatever... :mrgreen:
kwh01
Level 1
Level 1

Post by kwh01 »

Greed,
Thanks for the Advice. Will try this and think it solves my Problem.

To absque fenestris:
Did you understand my Question?
That on Linux Thunderbird has to be installed and an Account must be set-up is without any Question and was done previously.
My Question was, how to get the WIN-HDD mounted while booting Mint to get Access to the WIN-HDD without the detour via the File-Manager.

Kindly yours
Karl-Werner

I'm not a Windows whatever Player :oops: I try seriously to use Mint instead for the future! :)
coffee412
Level 8
Level 8

Post by coffee412 »

kwh01 wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:47 am Greed,

To absque fenestris:
That on Linux Thunderbird has to be installed and an Account must be set-up is without any Question and was done previously.
My Question was, how to get the WIN-HDD mounted while booting Mint to get Access to the WIN-HDD without the detour via the File-Manager.

Kindly yours
Karl-Werner

I'm not a Windows whatever Player :oops: I try seriously to use Mint instead for the future! :)
Edit your /etc/fstab file and add the partition that you want mounted at boot time.
Ryzen x1800 Asus Prime x370-Pro 32 gigs Ram RX480 graphics
Dell PE T610, Dell PE T710
- List your hardware Profile: inxi -Fxpmrz
MeshCentral * Virtualbox * Debian * InvoiceNinja * NextCloud * Linux since kernel 2.0.36
kwh01
Level 1
Level 1

Post by kwh01 »

greerd wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:01 pm My guess is that it nether a Mint or a Thunderbird's issue. It sounds like you are mounting the WIN-HDD via the file-manager(gvfs), so the drive doesn't get mounted until you click on it from within the file-manager.

If it an internal (or permanently attached) HDD you should probably mount the WIN-HDD on boot by adding the drive to your /etc/fstab file. Do a search on the forum for windows and fstab for information on how to do it and what options should be used.

Cheers
Greerd,
your right. It was the mounting of the WIN-HDD at booting.
It could be solved (in the German Version) with "MENUE - Einstellungen - Laufwerke and the "Mount-Option" the selection for the right WIN-HDD Partition.

Now it is working, as I expect it.
Thank you for your help.
Karl-Werner
kwh01
Level 1
Level 1

Post by kwh01 »

coffee412 wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:36 am

To absque fenestris:

Kindly yours
Karl-Werner

Edit your /etc/fstab file and add the partition that you want mounted at boot time.
Thanks, Coffee412. :)
I could solve the Problem by using "Menue - Settings - Diskdrives - Mount-Options" Gues this is the right translation of the German Desktop Menu :?:
absque fenestris
Level 12
Level 12

To absque fenestris:

Kindly yours
Karl-Werner

Mea culpa! I apologize, please...

It's like this: what friends, relatives and customers do with their data makes me scream. Then I often become sarcastic.
Good to see that this is not the case with you.

best regards
kwh01
Level 1
Level 1

Post by kwh01 »

Sometimes sarcastic comments are not detected as such :wink: an the reaction on the other side is therefore different from what was expected.
Specially when English is not your mothers tongue. I'm not offended by your comments, but my fingers and my mind could not withstand to commend.
I think, this is cleared now, apologies are NOT necessary. Everything is fine for me. :D

However, I do not understand the security Issue you mentioned.
I have 2 HDD-Drives, one with WIN7 and one with Mint.
Both HDD's are installed in the same Tower-PC.
On the WIN Disk I have all my Data, which had been stored in the passed years. Once a Week I switch to WIN7 and using a Back-Up Software (persanal-BackUp from Rathlev) to store this Data to an "Buffalo NAS-System"(RAID 1). I did not found a SW, that enables the "Buffalo-NAS" and store my Data via Mint.
If you have Ideas, how to get more security in this system, I'm open for any suggestion.
Have a nice Sunday
Karl-Werner
Last edited by kwh01 on Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

On my Win7 desktop PC which is my financial store, I use a program called Allway Sync

That is programmable as to how you want it to work, I create "jobs" and name them for the Folders that I keep sync'd up to an ExtUSB HDD.

Worst case, should the main PC have a crash, the data is always up todate.

https://allwaysync.com/

That program has been running non-stop on my desktop PC for about 20 years now.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
absque fenestris
Level 12
Level 12

kwh01 wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:18 am Sometimes sarcastic comments are not detected as such :wink: an the reaction on the other side is therefore different from what was expected.
Specially when English is not your mothers tongue. I'm not offended by your comments, but my fingers and my mind could not withstand to commend.
I think, this is cleared now, apologies are NOT necessary. Everything is fine for me. :D

However, I do not understand the security Issue you mentioned.
I have 2 HDD-Drives, one with WIN7 and one with Mint.
Both HDD's are installed in the same Tower-PC.
On the WIN Disk I have all my Data, which had been stored in the passed years. Once a Week I switch to WIN7 and using a Back-Up Software (persanal-BackUp from Rathlev) to store this Data to an "Buffalo NAS-System"(RAID 1). I did not found a SW, that enables the "Buffalo-NAS" and store my Data via Mint.
If you have Ideas, how to get more security in this system, I'm open for any suggestion.
Have a nice Sunday
Karl-Werner
Hallo Karl-Werner
bevor wir beide uns hoffnungslos lächerlich machen, wäre es vielleicht ganz gut auf die deutsche Seite des Forums umzuziehen... :lol:
kwh01
Level 1
Level 1

Post by kwh01 »

Gute Idee.
Wo kann ich denn eine Antwort auf meine letzte Frage von Dir finden?

Eine schöne Woche.
Karl-Werner
absque fenestris
Level 12
Level 12

kwh01 wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:31 am Gute Idee.
Wo kann ich denn eine Antwort auf meine letzte Frage von Dir finden?

Eine schöne Woche.
Karl-Werner
Eröffne doch ein Topic im Mint-Forum > Deutsch (German). Gruss

Return to “Software & Applications”