Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
RSanders
Level 1
Level 1

File managers very slow in large folders

Post by RSanders » Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:16 am

I have Linux Mint 18 installed and and up-to-date and have been using Mate desktop. I have a NAS partition with 2500+ video files on it. When I select this partition it takes the file manager 15-20 seconds to respond. I have tried Cinnamon desktop and many different file managers, specifically, Dolphin. Nautilus, Nemo, PCmanFM, Thunar, Caja, and Midnight Commander. They are all very slow. I love Mint except for this annoyance. I am able to dual boot through a boot manager called Boot It Bare Metal from Terabyte Unlimited and I have an up-to-date copy of Windows 10 on my HD. Windows 10 responds to this partition in 1-2 seconds. Is this something I have to live with ... or is there another solution? Thank you in advance for considering this question.

jimallyn
Level 18
Level 18

Re: File managers very slow in large folders

Post by jimallyn » Sat Feb 17, 2018 3:38 am

I have this problem also, and others have reported it. As I understand it, the issue is with creating thumbnails of all those files. I went looking for a solution some time back, and it seems like the answer was to disable the thumbnailer, or maybe to use a different thumbnailer. But I lost interest before I solved the problem on my computer and am currently just putting up with it. Anyway, a forums search for 'thumbnail' or 'thumbnailer' might turn up some help for you.

“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan

smurphos
Level 5
Level 5

Re: File managers very slow in large folders

Post by smurphos » Sat Feb 17, 2018 3:41 am

For Cinnamon / Nemo ensure that any unused plugins are disabled. Access the plugin settings via keyboard shortcut <Alt-P> from within Nemo

In particular the default ChangeColorFolder+NemoPython extension can cause slow-down.

if in doubt disable all the extensions and see if it improves /solves the problem. Then add them back in one by one testing response as you go or as and when you realise you are missing functionality you use.

Return to “Software & Applications”